TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER g: SPECIAL COURSES OF STUDY
PART 256 CAREER AND TECHNICAL EDUCATION
SECTION 256.165 ADDITIONAL PROGRAM COMPONENTS FOR WORKPLACE LEARNING PROGRAMS
Section 256.165 Additional Program Components for Workplace Learning Programs
a) In addition to the other requirements of this Part, applications for funding that include workplace experience coursework programs and activities must:
1) include a practicum work experience related to the student's CTEPOS, totaling no less than 60 hours per semester, that is a component of a student's individualized program of study designed to meet specific career goals;
2) include direct instruction on technical and essential employability skills and content relevant to students' specific employment; and
3) not have age restrictions for a student's eligibility into that program, other than those required by State and federal laws and regulations.
b) Workplace Learning CTE Coursework
1) The workplace learning CTE coursework is not bound by, and may occur outside of, the regular school day or calendar for participation or completion of practicum or direct instruction.
2) The workplace learning CTE coursework must include related instruction taught by a qualified educator-coordinator and must be provided to each student enrolled in the program. The related instruction must incorporate technical and essential employability skills and specific topics related to the particular employment of students.
3) At a minimum, the education coursework as part of workplace learning must include at least one synchronous meeting per week of all enrolled students or cohorts of students in similar career pathways to be led by the educator-coordinator that is responsive to the workplace experiences and employability skill development.
4) The workplace learning CTE coursework must include work experience, either paid or unpaid, that supports a student's individualized program of study. This practicum must comply with the following:
A) The practicum must be supervised by one or more qualified educator-coordinators, with applicable State Board credentials, who must conduct the following:
i) at least one direct supervision workplace visit for each student during the semester;
ii) direct and indirect supervisory activities on a weekly basis for the duration of the workplace placement; and
iii) at least one formal evaluation of the student by the conclusion of the workplace placement.
B) The district must provide the educator-coordinator with course release time granted for direct supervision of students that:
i) is, at a minimum, 30 minutes for each unique workplace where students are place; or
ii) variance from the 30-minute minimum per unique workplace is allowed with a State Board-approved waiver.
C) In addition to technical and essential employability skills, the workplace experience shall include focused skill development, in areas relevant to the student's individualized program of study and career goals, that includes:
i) school credit for the skill development;
ii) permissible activity for individuals of the particular age at which the student is engaged or employed under federal and State law;
iii) potential compensation for student learners that is in compliance with federal, State and local laws and regulations and that is conducted in a manner that does not result in the exploitation of the student learner for private gain;
iv) a requirement that other workers who ordinarily perform the work are not displaced; and
v) under the terms of a written placement agreement between the eligible recipient and the employer, incorporation of a placement plan developed for each student learner and that includes, at a minimum, verified tasks for the occupational and employability skills; duration of course of training; working hours; date of birth; company name; responsibilities of the employer, coordinator, students and parents; and signatures of the employer, coordinator, student and parent.
D) The number of students supervised by an educator-coordinator shall be subject to maximum thresholds designated by local district policy, with the consent of the appropriate CTE local or regional advisory committee.
E) Eligibility for student participation in workplace CTE coursework shall be subject to applicable State and federal employment and labor laws and regulations.
c) The eligible recipient shall establish procedures for cooperation with employment agencies, labor groups, employers, and other community agencies in identifying suitable placement partners for persons enrolled in the workplace learning program.