TITLE 20: CORRECTIONS, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS STATE POLICE
PART 1230 FIREARM OWNER'S IDENTIFICATION CARD ACT
SECTION 1230.30 DURATION, RENEWAL, AND EXPIRATION OF FOID CARD
Section 1230.30 Duration, Renewal, and Expiration of FOID Card
a) Duration. A FOID Card shall expire 10 years from the date of issuance.
1) The date the FOID Card becomes active within the Department's online FOID/CCL system is designated as the date of issuance for purposes of this Part.
2) If a person who possesses an FCCL or FOID Card with a Designator becomes subject to suspension or revocation under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, but is otherwise qualified under this Act, their FOID Card will remain valid for its duration without interruption.
1) A FOID Card will remain conditionally valid during the processing period provided that a completed renewal application with the required fees, including but not limited to, applicable processing fees, have been submitted to ISP prior to its expiration pursuant to Section 5 of the Act and the FOID Card is not subject to revocation pursuant to Section 8 or 8.2 of the Act. FOID Card holders eligible for a paper application pursuant to subsection 1230.20(a)(2), may contact the Firearms Services Bureau,
2) Conditional Renewal During a Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation. FOID Cards that expire during a Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation issued pursuant to Section 7 of the Illinois Emergency Management Act [20 ILCS 3305] shall be considered conditionally renewed if:
A) a completed application for renewal is submitted to the Department pursuant to Section 5 of the Act while a statewide Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation is in effect; and
B) the FOID Card is not subject to revocation pursuant to the provisions of Section 8 or Section 8.2 of the Act.
C) Conditionally renewed FOID Cards shall remain valid until a new FOID Card is issued.
3) Any conditionally renewed FOID Card shall be deemed valid for the purposes of possessing, transferring, and purchasing ammunition and firearms, unless the FOID Card is subject to revocation or suspension under Section 8 of this Act.
4) A FOID Card holder who is approved for a new or renewed FCCL shall have their FOID Card automatically renewed for 10 years from the time of approval of the FCCL. No additional fee shall be charged for the renewal of the FOID Card.
5) If the FOID Card of an FCCL holder expires during the term of the FCCL, the FOID Card shall remain valid and the FCCL holder does not have to renew their FOID Card during the term of the FCCL.
6) Effective January 1, 2023, at the time of a Firearm Transfer Inquiry pursuant to Section 3.1 of the Act, a FOID Card holder, who has previously provided a full set of fingerprints to the Department under this Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, shall have their FOID Card remain active and be renewed for a period of 10 years from the date the Firearm Transfer Inquiry was approved so long as the FOID Card holder is not subject to revocation or suspension under the Act.
1) The status of a FOID Card and FCCL, including but not limited to, the expiration date and whether the FOID Card or FCCL is active will be:
A) maintained by the Department;
B) reflected in the Department's online FOID/FCCL system and any federal online firearms tracking system pursuant to the requirements of Section 3.1 of the Act; and
C) made available electronically to the applicant through the applicant portal; and
D) made available electronically to persons authorized to access such information under either this Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.
2) Persons who surrender their FCCL pursuant to the Firearm Concealed Carry Act but remain qualified for a FOID Card under this Act, shall remain valid in the online FOID/FCCL system until the FOID Card expires or is cancelled, suspended or revoked.
(Source: Amended at 46 Ill. Reg. 1057, effective December 21, 2021)