TITLE 8: AGRICULTURE AND ANIMALS
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
SUBCHAPTER b: ANIMALS AND ANIMAL PRODUCTS (EXCEPT MEAT AND POULTRY INSPECTION ACT REGULATIONS)
PART 25 ANIMAL WELFARE ACT
SECTION 25.50 SHIPMENT OF MAMMALS AND BIRDS
Section 25.50 Shipment of Mammals and Birds
a) Animals shall be transported in crates constructed of a smooth, durable material which is easily cleaned and shall:
1) Have a solid floor which may have a false bottom above it.
2) Be so constructed as prescribed in the rules for the Federal Animal Welfare Act (9 CFR 3.13-3.19; 2006) as to provide maximum safety for the particular animal or animals being transported.
3) Have openings on 2 sides and the top to assure adequate ventilation.
b) In all cases, the crates shall be large enough to provide space for the animals to lie down in an extended position and to allow ease of movement when standing or turning around as prescribed in the rules for the Federal Animal Welfare Act (9 CFR 3.13-3.19; 2006). When the temperature is over 85° F., increased space shall be provided within reason.
c) The crates shall be cleaned before use for each trip.
d) Food and water containers shall be cleaned and sanitized before each trip.
e) If bedding is used it shall be clean, dry, and relatively dust-free.
f) Animals in transit for 4 or more hours shall be offered food 2 hours before loading and fresh water about 30 minutes before loading.
g) The person or persons responsible for the welfare of the animal or animals while in transit shall:
1) Offer the animals food at least once each 24 hours, except that newly weaned young shall be offered suitable food at 4-hour intervals.
2) Offer all animals water at 8-hour intervals at least, except that water shall be offered at 2-hour intervals when the temperature reaches 90° F.
3) Clean the crate or crates at least every 24 hours and, if bedding is used, shall provide clean bedding.
4) Inspect each animal at 4-hour intervals, or oftener.
h) No female obviously near parturition shall be transported.
i) Trucks transporting animals shall provide protection from the sun in hot weather, and protection from cold weather. Adequate ventilation shall be provided in hot weather, and the trucks shall be draft-free in cold weather. Provisions shall be made for warming an area carrying weaned young if the temperature falls below 50° F., and for unweaned young if the temperature falls below 65° F.
(Source: Amended at 31 Ill. Reg. 6904, effective May 1, 2007)