|Public Act 097-0266|
|HB1558 Enrolled||LRB097 10218 ASK 50414 b|
AN ACT concerning wind energy.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
This Act may be cited as the
Michigan Offshore Wind Energy Advisory Council Act.
In this Act:
"Council" means the Lake Michigan Offshore Wind Energy
Advisory Council created under this Act.
"Department" means the Illinois Department of Natural
"Local government" means county, township, or
The Lake Michigan Offshore Wind Energy
(a) In order to assist in the evaluation and consideration
of offshore wind energy projects in Illinois waters of Lake
Michigan, the Department shall examine the topics identified in
subsection (b) of this Section and report its findings and
recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly by June
30, 2012. During preparation of the report, the Department is
not expected to fund or perform original scientific studies.
(b) In preparing a report, the Department shall evaluate
all of the following:
(1) Appropriate criteria for the Department to use to
review applications for offshore wind development of Lake
Michigan lakebed leases.
(2) Criteria for identifying areas that are favorable,
acceptable, and unacceptable for offshore wind
development, including, but not limited to, impacts to
wildlife, protected habitats, navigation, commercial
fisheries, and recreational uses of Lake Michigan.
(3) A recommended process for ensuring public
engagement in the Department's process for leasing Lake
Michigan lakebed for offshore wind energy projects.
(4) Options for how the State shall be compensated for
Lake Michigan lakebed leasing.
(5) A summary of the lessons learned from other
domestic and international offshore wind development
experiences, including, but not limited to, those related
to public policy, regulatory, and siting concerns for
offshore wind development.
(6) Identification of local, State, and federal
authorities with permitting, siting, or other approval
authority for wind power development in Lake Michigan.
(7) Recommendations for needed State legislation and
regulations governing offshore wind farm development.
The Lake Michigan Offshore Wind Energy Advisory
(a) The Council is created as a separate entity within the
Department of Natural Resources and shall consist of the
Director or Chairman, or their designee, of the following 5
(1) The Department of Natural Resources.
(2) The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
(3) The Illinois Power Agency.
(4) The Illinois Commerce Commission.
(5) The Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.
(b) The Director of Natural Resources shall serve as
chairperson of the Council. The chairperson shall select the
following public members to serve on the Council:
(1) One individual representing a statewide
(2) One individual representing the tourism industry.
(3) One resident of the State representing an Illinois
institution of higher education.
(4) Two residents of the State representing lakefront
(5) One individual representing an electrical utility
(6) One individual representing an independent
(7) One individual representing the offshore wind
(8) One individual representing local government
(9) One individual representing a regional
(10) One individual representing the commercial
(11) One individual representing the recreational
(c) At his or her discretion, the chairperson may appoint
additional public members to the Council.
(d) The Speaker of the House, Minority Leader of the House,
Senate President, and Minority Leader of the Senate shall each
appoint one member of the General Assembly to serve on the
(e) Members of the Council shall serve without
(f) The Council shall examine the topics identified in
subsection (b) of Section 10 of this Act and shall make
recommendations to the Department during the preparation of the
report to the General Assembly and Governor.
Repeal of Act.
This Act shall be repealed on
July 1, 2012.
This Act takes effect July 1,