Illinois General Assembly

  Bills & Resolutions  
  Compiled Statutes  
  Public Acts  
  Legislative Reports  
  IL Constitution  
  Legislative Guide  
  Legislative Glossary  

 Search By Number
 (example: HB0001)
Search Tips

Search By Keyword

Illinois Compiled Statutes

Information maintained by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process. Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public Acts soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the Guide.

Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes, statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect. If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes made to the current law.

(65 ILCS 5/) Illinois Municipal Code.

65 ILCS 5/11-136-7

    (65 ILCS 5/11-136-7) (from Ch. 24, par. 11-136-7)
    Sec. 11-136-7. Such commission may construct, maintain, alter and extend its water mains or sewer facilities as a proper use of highways along, upon, under and across any highway, street, alley or public ground in the State, including highways within a municipality, but so as not to inconvenience the public use thereof. Such commission may construct, maintain and operate any conduit or conduits, water pipe or pipes, wholly or partially buried or otherwise in, upon and along any of the lands owned by the State of Illinois and under any of the public waters therein. However, the right, permission and authority hereby created shall be subject to all public rights of commerce and navigation and the authority of the United States in behalf of such public rights and also the laws of the State of Illinois to regulate and control the same. Notice shall be given to the highway authorities of any municipality, county, township, road district or township district in which such highway, street or public way may be situated at least 60 days before any construction or installation work in such highway or street shall commence. All laws and ordinances pertaining to such work for the protection of the public and of public property shall be complied with except that no fee may be charged such commission for the construction or installation of such facilities in such public places.
(Source: Laws 1961, p. 576.)

65 ILCS 5/11-136-8

    (65 ILCS 5/11-136-8) (from Ch. 24, par. 11-136-8)
    Sec. 11-136-8. Such commission shall have the right to supply water or sewer facilities to any municipality, political subdivision, private person or corporation, in addition to the municipalities which have formed the commission, upon such payment, terms and conditions as may be mutually agreed upon, provided the water is delivered to such party or parties at the corporate limits of the municipalities which have created such commission or from such water works properties of the commission located outside such municipalities that have been constructed or acquired as necessary and incidental to the furnishing of water to the municipalities which formed the commission.
    Such commission shall have the power to contract with any person, corporation or political subdivision or any municipal corporation or other agency for a sewer system or for a supply of water, or to supply water to such person, corporation, municipal corporation or political subdivision. Any such contract entered into to supply water or sewer service to a municipal corporation or political subdivision shall provide that the payments to be made thereunder shall be solely from the revenues to be derived by such municipality or political subdivision from the operation of the waterworks system or sewer system of such municipality or political subdivision, and said contract shall be a continuing, valid and binding obligation of the municipality or political subdivision, payable from such revenues for such period of years, not to exceed 40, as may be provided in such contract. Any such contract shall not be a debt within the meaning of any statutory or constitutional limitations.
    No prior appropriation shall be required before entering into such contract, and no appropriation shall be required to authorize payments to be made under the terms of any such contract, notwithstanding any provision of this Code to the contrary.
(Source: Laws 1961, p. 576.)

65 ILCS 5/11-136-9

    (65 ILCS 5/11-136-9) (from Ch. 24, par. 11-136-9)
    Sec. 11-136-9. All powers and duties of the commission heretofore set forth in this Division 136 may be exercised within the municipalities constituting the commission and in contiguous territory not more than 3 miles beyond the corporate limits of such municipalities and in the territory necessary to interconnect any of the municipalities constituting the commission. The commission shall keep proper accounting records which records shall be kept so as to show the book value, reserve for depreciation, revenue and expenses broken down as to type of utility and by all municipalities making up the commission.
(Source: Laws 1961, p. 576.)

65 ILCS 5/Art. 11 Div. 137

    (65 ILCS 5/Art. 11 Div. 137 heading)

65 ILCS 5/11-137-1

    (65 ILCS 5/11-137-1) (from Ch. 24, par. 11-137-1)
    Sec. 11-137-1. To enable municipalities to promote and procure the construction and installation of waterworks and sewerage systems when it becomes necessary for public health and welfare or for better sanitary conditions of a municipality, each municipality may contract with any person for a supply of water for public use, and for sewerage for drainage and sanitary purposes of the municipality, for a period not exceeding 30 years. Any contract that is entered into by a municipality and pledged to secure the bonds issued to construct any waterworks or sewerage system shall enure at all times and under all conditions to the benefit of the holders of any of the bonds so issued and for the payment of those bonds.
(Source: Laws 1961, p. 576.)

65 ILCS 5/11-137-2

    (65 ILCS 5/11-137-2) (from Ch. 24, par. 11-137-2)
    Sec. 11-137-2. In all municipalities where any person has constructed a waterworks or sewerage system, or both, the municipality may purchase or lease that waterworks or sewerage system, or both, from the owners thereof, subject to the provisions of this Division 137.
    Before such a lease or purchase is binding upon the municipality, the corporate authorities shall pass an ordinance authorizing the municipality to lease or purchase that waterworks or sewerage system, or both, and shall include in the ordinance the terms, as near as practicable, upon which the lease or purchase shall be made. The ordinance shall be published at least once, within 10 days after passage, in one or more newspapers published in the municipality, or, if no newspaper is published therein, then in one or more newspapers with a general circulation within the municipality. In municipalities with less than 500 population in which no newspaper is published, publication may instead be made by posting a notice in 3 prominent places within the municipality.
    The publication or posting of the ordinance shall be accompanied by a notice of (1) the specific number of voters required to sign a petition requesting the question of authorizing the lease or purchase of a waterworks or sewerage system to be submitted to the electors; (2) the time in which such petition must be filed; and (3) the date of the prospective referendum. The municipal clerk shall provide a petition form to any individual requesting one.
    If no petition is presented to the corporate authorities as hereinafter provided, within 30 days after the ordinance is so published and posted, the corporate authorities may consummate the lease or purchase of that waterworks or sewerage system, or both, as provided in the ordinance. If within 30 days after the first publication of the ordinance a petition is filed with the municipal clerk signed by electors of the municipality numbering 10% or more of the number of registered voters in the municipality, asking that the question of leasing or purchasing that waterworks or sewerage system, or both, as provided in the ordinance, be submitted to a vote, the clerk shall certify the proposition and the corporate authorities shall designate an election at which the question shall be submitted. If a majority of the votes cast on the question are in favor thereof, the corporate authorities may complete the lease or purchase, but if a majority of the votes cast on the question are unfavorable, no further action shall be taken by the municipality for a period of not less than 6 months. Thereafter, the same or another question may be submitted as before.
(Source: P.A. 87-767.)

65 ILCS 5/11-137-3

    (65 ILCS 5/11-137-3) (from Ch. 24, par. 11-137-3)
    Sec. 11-137-3. If any municipality is authorized to purchase a waterworks or sewerage system, or both, as provided in Section 11-137-2, and if the system is pledged to secure the payment of bonds, or other written evidences of indebtedness, by a mortgage or trust deed, the corporate authorities of the municipality may direct the municipal clerk or treasurer, by a motion or resolution, to enter the bonds, or the other written evidences of indebtedness on the records of the municipality as an indebtedness against the waterworks or sewerage system only. The corporate authorities shall have all the revenue derived from the operation of the system, and all rents due and payable to the former owners for use of the water and sewerage facilities, and pledged for the payment of the indebtedness, set apart in a separate fund for the payment of the indebtedness as it becomes due and payable, provided the system can be operated and maintained from the current funds of the municipality appropriated therefor.
    Nothing contained in this Division 137 affects any lien or renders void any bond, mortgage, or trust deed securing any indebtedness upon the system, or any franchise under which the system is operated, or any contract executed by any person as owner for the construction and installation of the waterworks or sewerage system, or both, prior to the transfer of the system to the municipality as provided in this Division 137. If the municipality neglects or fails to pay the indebtedness as it falls due and if any mortgage or trust deed is foreclosed at the instance of bona fide holders of unpaid bonds or other written evidences of indebtedness, the mortgagee or trustee for those bona fide holders shall be re-invested with all former rights which existed in their behalf by virtue of the franchise and contract which were granted by the municipality, and which were pledged.
(Source: Laws 1961, p. 576.)