Illinois Compiled Statutes
Information maintained by the Legislative
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
225 ILCS 20/3
(225 ILCS 20/3)
(from Ch. 111, par. 6353)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2028)
The following words and phrases shall have the
meanings ascribed to them in this Section unless the context clearly
1. "Department" means the Department of Financial and
2. "Secretary" means the Secretary of Financial and Professional
3. "Board" means the Social Work Examining and Disciplinary Board.
4. "Licensed Clinical Social Worker" means a person who holds a license
authorizing the independent practice of clinical social work in Illinois
under the auspices of an employer or in private practice or under the auspices of public human service agencies or private, nonprofit agencies providing publicly sponsored human services.
5. "Clinical social work practice" means the providing of mental health
services for the evaluation, treatment, and prevention of mental and
emotional disorders in individuals, families, and groups based on knowledge
and theory of professionally accepted theoretical structures, including, but not limited to, psychosocial development, behavior, psychopathology,
unconscious motivation, interpersonal relationships, and environmental stress.
6. "Treatment procedures" means among other things, individual,
marital, family, and group psychotherapy.
7. "Independent practice of clinical social work" means the application
of clinical social work knowledge and skills by a licensed clinical social
worker who regulates and is responsible for her or his own practice or
8. "License" means that which is required to practice clinical social
work or social work under this Act, the qualifications for which include specific
education, acceptable experience, and examination requirements.
9. "Licensed social worker" means a person who holds a license authorizing
the practice of social work, which includes social services to individuals,
groups or communities in any one
or more of the fields of social casework, social group work, community
organization for social welfare, social work research, social welfare
administration, or social work education. Social casework and social group
work may also include clinical social work, as long as it is not conducted
in an independent practice, as defined in this Section.
10. "Address of record" means the address recorded by the Department in the applicant's application file or the licensee's license file, as maintained by the Department's licensure maintenance unit.
11. "Email address of record" means the designated email address recorded by the Department in the applicant's application file or the licensee's license file, as maintained by the Department's licensure maintenance unit.
(Source: P.A. 100-201, eff. 8-18-17; 100-414, eff. 8-25-17.)