(820 ILCS 185/40) Sec. 40. Penalties. (a) An employer or entity that violates any of the provisions of this Act or any rule adopted under this Act shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $1,000 for each violation found in the first audit by the Department. Following a first audit, an employer or entity shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $2,000 for each repeat violation found by the Department within a 5 year period. For purposes of this Section, each violation of this Act for each person and for each day the violation continues shall constitute a separate and distinct violation. In determining the amount of a penalty, the Director shall consider the appropriateness of the penalty to the employer or entity charged, upon the determination of the gravity of the violations. (b) The amount of the penalty, when finally determined, may be recovered in any administrative proceeding or a civil action filed in any circuit court by the Director of Labor, or a person aggrieved by a violation of this Act or any rule adopted under this Act. (1) The Department shall distribute to all affected
employees 10% of the civil penalty recovered as a result of any administrative proceeding or civil action brought by the Department. The remaining 90% of the amount recovered shall be submitted to the Director of Labor.
(2) In any civil action brought by an interested
party pursuant to this Section, the circuit court shall award the interested party 10% of the amount recovered. In such case, the remaining amount recovered shall be submitted to the Director of Labor.
(c) Any uncollected amount shall be subject to the provisions of the Illinois State Collection Act of 1986. (Source: P.A. 98-106, eff. 1-1-14.)