(815 ILCS 375/2.9)
(from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 562.9)
"Finance charge" means the sum of all charges payable,
directly or indirectly by the buyer and imposed directly or indirectly
by the seller as an incident to or as a condition of the extension of
credit, whether payable by the buyer, the seller, or any other person on
behalf of the buyer to the seller or a third party including any of the
following types of charges:
(1) Interest, time price differential, and any amount payable under
a discount or other system of additional charges.
(2) Service, transaction, activity, or carrying charge.
(3) Loan fee, points, finder's fee, or similar charge.
(4) Fee for an appraisal, investigation, or credit report.
(5) Charges or premiums for credit life, accident, health, or loss
of income insurance, written in connection with any credit transaction
(i) the insurance coverage is not required by the
creditor and this fact is clearly and conspicuously disclosed in writing to the customer; and
(ii) any customer desiring such insurance coverage
gives specific dated and separately signed affirmative written indication of such desire after receiving written disclosure to him of the cost of such insurance.
(6) Charges or premiums for insurance, written in connection with
any credit transaction, against loss of or damage to property or against
liability arising out of the ownership or use of property, unless a
clear, conspicuous, and specific statement in writing is furnished by
the creditor to the customer setting forth the cost of the insurance if
obtained from or through the creditor and stating that the customer may
choose the person through which the insurance is to be obtained.
(7) Premium or other charge for any other guarantee or insurance
protecting the creditor against the customer's default or other credit
(8) Any charge imposed by a creditor upon another creditor for
purchasing or accepting an obligation of a customer if the customer is
required to pay any part of that charge in cash, as an addition to the
obligation, or as a deduction from the proceeds of the obligation.
If itemized and disclosed to the customer, any charges of the
following types need not be included in the finance charge:
(1) Fees and charges prescribed by law which actually
are or will be paid to public officials for determining the existence of or for perfecting or releasing or satisfying any security related to the credit transaction.
(2) The premium payable for any insurance in lieu of
perfecting any security interest otherwise required by the creditor in connection with the transaction, if the premium does not exceed the fees and charges described in subparagraph (1) of this paragraph which would otherwise be payable.
(3) Taxes not included in the cash price.
(4) License, certificate of title, and registration
(5) Other charges as authorized by this Act.
A late payment, delinquency, default, reinstatement, or other such
charge is not a finance charge if imposed for actual unanticipated late
payment, delinquency, default or other such occurrence.
(Source: P.A. 90-437, eff. 1-1-98.)