(810 ILCS 5/7-102)
(from Ch. 26, par. 7-102)
Definitions and index of definitions.
(a) In this Article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Bailee" means a person that by a warehouse
receipt, bill of lading, or other document of title acknowledges possession of goods and contracts to deliver them.
(2) "Carrier" means a person that issues a bill of
(3) "Consignee" means a person named in a bill of
lading to which or to whose order the bill promises delivery.
(4) "Consignor" means a person named in a bill of
lading as the person from which the goods have been received for shipment.
(5) "Delivery order" means a record that contains an
order to deliver goods directed to a warehouse, carrier, or other person that in the ordinary course of business issues warehouse receipts or bills of lading.
(6) "Good faith" means honesty in fact and the
observance of reasonable commercial standards of fair dealing.
(7) "Goods" means all things that are treated as
movable for the purposes of a contract for storage or transportation.
(8) "Issuer" means a bailee that issues a document of
title or, in the case of an unaccepted delivery order, the person that orders the possessor of goods to deliver. The term includes a person for which an agent or employee purports to act in issuing a document if the agent or employee has real or apparent authority to issue documents, even if the issuer did not receive any goods, the goods were misdescribed, or in any other respect the agent or employee violated the issuer's instructions.
(9) "Person entitled under the document" means the
holder, in the case of a negotiable document of title, or the person to which delivery of the goods is to be made by the terms of, or pursuant to instructions in a record under, a nonnegotiable document of title.
(10) "Record" means information that is inscribed on
a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(11) "Sign" means, with present intent to
authenticate or adopt a record:
(A) to execute or adopt a tangible symbol; or
(B) to attach to or logically associate with the
record an electronic sound, symbol, or process.
(12) "Shipper" means a person that enters into a
contract of transportation with a carrier.
(13) "Warehouse" means a person engaged in the
business of storing goods for hire. The owner of a self-service storage facility as defined in the Self-Service Storage Facility Act is not a warehouse for the purposes of this Article.
(b) Definitions in other Articles applying to this Article and the Sections in which they appear are:
(1) "Contract for sale", Section 2-106.
(2) "Lessee in the ordinary course of business",
(3) "Receipt" of goods, Section 2-103.
(c) In addition, Article 1 contains general definitions and principles of construction and interpretation applicable throughout this Article.
(Source: P.A. 95-895, eff. 1-1-09.)