(810 ILCS 5/4-104)
(from Ch. 26, par. 4-104)
Definitions and index of definitions.
(a) In this Article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Account" means any deposit or credit account
with a bank, including a demand, time, savings, passbook, share draft, or like account, other than an account evidenced by a certificate of deposit;
(2) "Afternoon" means the period of a day between
(3) "Banking day" means the part of a day on which a
bank is open to the public for carrying on substantially all of its banking functions, except that any day that is not a banking day for purposes of Federal Reserve Regulation CC (as may be amended from time to time) shall not be a banking day for purposes of this Article or Article 3;
(4) "Clearing house" means an association of banks or
other payors regularly clearing items;
(5) "Customer" means a person having an account with
a bank or for whom a bank has agreed to collect items, including a bank that maintains an account at another bank;
(6) "Documentary draft" means a draft to be presented
for acceptance or payment if specified documents, certificated securities (Section 8-102) or instructions for uncertificated securities (Section 8-102), or other certificates, statements, or the like are to be received by the drawee or other payor before acceptance or payment of the draft;
(7) "Draft" means a draft as defined in Section 3-104
or an item, other than an instrument, that is an order;
(8) "Drawee" means a person ordered in a draft to
(9) "Item" means an instrument or a promise or order
to pay money handled by a bank for collection or payment. The term does not include a payment order governed by Article 4A or a credit or debit card slip;
(10) "Midnight deadline" with respect to a bank is
midnight on its next banking day following the banking day on which it receives the relevant item or notice or from which the time for taking action commences to run, whichever is later;
(11) "Settle" means to pay in cash, by clearing-house
settlement, in a charge or credit or by remittance, or otherwise as agreed. A settlement may be either provisional or final;
(12) "Suspends payments" with respect to a bank means
that it has been closed by order of the supervisory authorities, that a public officer has been appointed to take it over, or that it ceases or refuses to make payments in the ordinary course of business.
(b) Other definitions applying to this Article and the Sections in which
they appear are:
"Agreement for electronic
(c) "Control" as provided in Section 7-106 and the
following definitions in other Articles apply to this Article:
"Certificate of deposit"
"Holder in due course"
"Notice of dishonor"
"Person entitled to enforce"
(d) In addition Article 1 contains general definitions and principles of
construction and interpretation applicable throughout this Article.
(Source: P.A. 95-895, eff. 1-1-09.)