(775 ILCS 40/5)
As used in this Act:
(1) "Claim of torture" means a claim on behalf of a living
person convicted of a felony in Illinois asserting that he was
tortured into confessing to the crime for which the person was
convicted and the tortured confession was used to obtain the
conviction and for which there is some credible evidence
related to allegations of torture occurring within a county of more than 3,000,000 inhabitants.
(2) "Commission" means the Illinois Torture Inquiry and
Relief Commission established by this Act.
(3) "Convicted person" means the person making a claim of torture under this Act.
(4) "Director" means the Director of the Illinois Torture
Inquiry and Relief Commission.
(5) "Victim" means the victim of the crime, or if the
victim of the crime is deceased, the next of kin of the victim, which shall be the parent, spouse, child, or sibling of the deceased victim.
(Source: P.A. 99-688, eff. 7-29-16.)