(725 ILCS 210/4.12)
Best Practices Protocol Committee.
The Board shall establish a Best Practices Protocol Committee which shall evaluate and recommend a Best Practices Protocol on specific issues related to the investigation and prosecution of serious criminal offenses. The Best Practices Committee shall review the causes of wrongful convictions and make recommendations to improve and enhance public safety, with due consideration for the rights of the accused. The Best Practices Protocol Committee shall:
(1) Propose enhanced procedures relevant to the
investigation and prosecution of criminal offenses.
(2) Collaborate with law enforcement partners in the
development of enhanced procedures.
(3) Review public and private sector reports dealing
with reduction of wrongful convictions.
(4) Identify and assess innovations to the criminal
(5) Examine scientific studies concerning new
(6) Create training programs for prosecutors and
police on the best practice protocols developed by the Committee in collaboration with law enforcement.
(7) Review specific proposals submitted by the
General Assembly by way of resolution and report back its findings and recommendations in a timely manner.
(Source: P.A. 98-938, eff. 8-15-14.)