(605 ILCS 5/10-302.5)
Administrative adjudication of toll violations.
(a) The county may provide by ordinance for a system of administrative
adjudication for fixing, assessing, and collecting civil fines for a vehicle's
operation on a county toll bridge if the required toll or charge has not been
(b) An ordinance establishing a system of administrative adjudication under
this Section shall provide for the following:
(1) Written notice of the alleged violation sent by
(2) Availability of a hearing in which the violation
may be contested on its merits and the time and manner in which the hearing may be held.
(3) An opportunity for the person who allegedly
violated the ordinance to appear at the hearing and contest the merits of the alleged violation. The rules of evidence shall not apply to the hearing.
(4) A civil fine not to exceed $500 imposed as the
result of an administrative adjudication.
(5) A burden of proof on the county to establish a
violation by a preponderance of the evidence.
(6) Judicial review of final determinations of
ordinance violations, subject to the provisions of the Administrative Review Law.
(c) The county may enter into an intergovernmental agreement with the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority under which the Authority may provide administrative adjudication of toll violations occurring on a county toll bridge.
(Source: P.A. 97-252, eff. 8-4-11.)