(510 ILCS 77/40)
Environmental research is critical to a livestock producer's ability to
implement sound, integrated management systems that will enhance industry
profitability and protect the environment.
The Department of Agriculture shall annually request appropriations to fund
environmental research projects pertinent to livestock management facilities.
Projects may include both university research and on-farm applied research.
Priorities should be given to the following:
(1) Determination of the contribution of soil applied livestock nutrient
volatilization, leaching or storage in the soil and methods of application.
(2) Integrated systems that maintain and enhance water quality.
(3) Odor reduction and control through chemical, biological, or mechanical
(4) Environmental quality in livestock facilities affecting owner, operator,
and employee health.
(5) Environmental quality that could affect residents who live adjacent to
(Source: P.A. 89-456, eff. 5-21-96.)