(415 ILCS 55/4)
(from Ch. 111 1/2, par. 7454)
(a) There shall be established within State government an
which shall be known as the Interagency Coordinating Committee on
Groundwater. The Committee shall be composed of the Director, or his
designee, of the following agencies:
(1) The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, who
shall chair the Committee.
(2) The Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
(3) The Illinois Department of Public Health.
(4) The Office of Mines and Minerals within the
Department of Natural Resources.
(5) The Office of the State Fire Marshal.
(6) The Division of Water Resources of the Department
(7) The Illinois Department of Agriculture.
(8) The Illinois Emergency Management Agency.
(9) The Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety.
(10) The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic
(b) The Committee shall meet not less than
twice each calendar year and shall:
(1) Review and coordinate the State's policy on
(2) Review and evaluate State laws, regulations and
procedures that relate to groundwater protection.
(3) Review and evaluate the status of the State's
efforts to improve the quality of the groundwater and of the State enforcement efforts for protection of the groundwater and make recommendations on improving the State efforts to protect the groundwater.
(4) Recommend procedures for better coordination
among State groundwater programs and with local programs related to groundwater protection.
(5) Review and recommend procedures to coordinate the
State's response to specific incidents of groundwater pollution and coordinate dissemination of information between agencies responsible for the State's response.
(6) Make recommendations for and prioritize the
State's groundwater research needs.
(7) Review, coordinate and evaluate groundwater data
(8) Beginning on January 1, 1990, report biennially
to the Governor and the General Assembly on groundwater quality, quantity, and the State's enforcement efforts.
(c) The Chairman of the Committee shall propose a groundwater protection
regulatory agenda for consideration by the Committee and the Council. The
principal purpose of the agenda shall be to systematically consider the
groundwater protection aspects of relevant federal and State regulatory
programs and to identify any areas where improvements may be warranted. To
the extent feasible, the agenda may also serve to facilitate a more
uniform and coordinated approach toward protection of groundwaters in
Illinois. Upon adoption of the final agenda by the Committee, the Chairman
of the Committee shall assign a lead agency and any support agencies to
prepare a regulatory assessment report for each item on the agenda. Each
regulatory assessment report shall specify the nature of the
provisions being implemented and shall evaluate the results achieved
therefrom. Special attention shall be given to any preventive measures
being utilized for protection of groundwaters. The reports shall be
completed in a timely manner. After review and consideration by the
Committee, the reports shall become the basis for recommending further
legislative or regulatory action.
(d) No later than January 1, 1992, the Interagency Coordinating
Committee on Groundwater shall provide a comprehensive status report to
the Governor and the General Assembly concerning implementation of this Act.
(e) The Committee shall consider findings and recommendations that are
provided by the Council, and
respond in writing regarding such matters. The Chairman of the Committee
shall designate a liaison person to serve as a facilitator of
communications with the Council.
(Source: P.A. 94-793, eff. 5-19-06.)