(410 ILCS 413/10)
Duties of the Department.
Subject to the availability of funds for these purposes, the Department of Public Health shall:
(1) Assist in the development of programs for the
care and treatment of persons suffering from epilepsy.
(2) Institute and carry on a statewide educational
initiative among health care professionals, teachers, school administers, public health departments, and families, including the dissemination of information and the conducting of educational programs to assist in the early recognition and referral of persons for appropriate followup and treatment.
(3) Develop standards for determining eligibility for
care and treatment under this program. Among other standards so developed under this paragraph, candidates, to be eligible, must be referred and evaluated by a program properly staffed and affiliated with a national epilepsy program.
(4) Extend assistance to the programs listed in item
(2) in order to facilitate linkages for persons with epilepsy through the following:
(i) referral and evaluation for appropriate care
management and treatment; and
(ii) diagnosis and treatment by epileptologists
and the Epilepsy Foundation.
(Source: P.A. 94-73, eff. 6-23-05.)