(405 ILCS 90/20)
Violence prevention training.
By July 1, 2006 (in the case of a health care workplace participating in the pilot project under Section 35) or July 1, 2009 (in the case of health care workplaces not participating in the pilot project), and on a regular basis thereafter, as set forth in the plan adopted under Section 15, a health care workplace must provide violence prevention training to all its affected employees as determined by the plan. For temporary employees, training must take into account unique circumstances. A health care workplace also shall provide periodic follow-up training for its employees as appropriate. The training may vary by the plan and may include, but need not be limited to, classes, videotapes, brochures, verbal training, or other verbal or written training that is determined to be appropriate under the plan. The training must address the following topics, as appropriate to the particular health care workplace and to the duties and responsibilities of the particular employee being trained, based on the hazards identified in the assessment required under Section 15:
(1) General safety procedures.
(2) Personal safety procedures.
(3) The violence escalation cycle.
(4) Violence-predicting factors.
(5) Obtaining patient history from a patient with a
history of violent behavior.
(6) Verbal and physical techniques to de-escalate and
minimize violent behavior.
(7) Strategies to avoid physical harm.
(8) Restraining techniques, as permitted and governed
(9) Appropriate use of medications to reduce violent
(10) Documenting and reporting incidents of violence.
(11) The process whereby employees affected by a
violent act may debrief or be calmed down and the tension of the situation may be reduced.
(12) Any resources available to employees for coping
(13) The workplace violence prevention plan adopted
(14) The protection of confidentiality in accordance
with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and other related provisions of law.
(Source: P.A. 94-347, eff. 7-28-05.)