(225 ILCS 635/1)
(from Ch. 56 1/2, par. 240)
In this Act, unless the context or subject matter otherwise
(1) "Horse Meat" means the flesh of any animal of the equine family.
(2) "Slaughterer" means any person engaged in killing animals of the
equine family where the carcasses are butchered for any purpose other than
that of manufacturing tankage.
(3) "Wholesale Distributor" means any person not licensed as a
slaughterer who is engaged in the business of securing horse meat from a
slaughterer, distributor or any other person and distributing it to any
retailer, stock or pet ranch, or place where food is served for consumption
on the premises.
(4) "Package" means any closed and sealed container which is sold as an
unopened unit to the purchaser.
(5) "Bulk meat" means whole carcass, half carcass or quarter carcass.
(6) "Director" means the Director of Agriculture.
(7) "Department" means the Department of Agriculture.
(8) "Processor" means an establishment in which carcasses, parts of
carcasses, meat or meat-by-products derived from any animal of the equine
family are wholly or in part canned, packed or otherwise processed or
prepared for sale.
(9) "Breeder and Raiser of Fur Bearing Animals" means and includes any
person who is actively engaged in breeding and raising fur bearing animals
who kills and butchers animals of the equine family for feed for such fur
bearing animals and does not sell or distribute any part of meat therefrom
except in ground form, in which the meat and bones have been ground
together, and then only to other persons who also are engaged in the
breeding and raising of fur bearing animals.
(Source: Laws 1955, p. 388.)