(225 ILCS 225/3)
(from Ch. 111 1/2, par. 116.303)
As used in this Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Domestic Sewage" means waste water derived principally from
dwellings, business or office buildings, institutions, food service
establishments, and similar facilities.
(2) "Director" means Director of the Illinois Department of Public Health.
(3) "Department" means the Illinois Department of Public Health.
(4) "Human Wastes" means undigested food and by-products of metabolism
which are passed out of the human body.
(5) "Person" means any individual, group of individuals, association,
trust, partnership, corporation, person doing business under an assumed
name, the State of Illinois or any Department thereof, or any other entity.
(6) "Population Equivalent" means an average waste loading equivalent to
that produced by one person which is defined as 100 gallons per day.
(7) "Private Sewage Disposal System" means any sewage handling or
treatment facility receiving domestic sewage from less than 15 people or
population equivalent and having a ground surface discharge or any sewage
handling or treatment facility receiving domestic sewage and having no
ground surface discharge.
(8) "Private Sewage Disposal System Installation Contractor" means
any person constructing, installing, repairing, modifying, or
maintaining private sewage disposal systems.
(9) "Property Owner" means the person in whose name legal title to the
real estate is recorded.
(10) "Waste" means either human waste or domestic sewage or both.
(11) "Private Sewage Disposal System Pumping Contractor" means any
person who cleans or pumps waste from a private sewage disposal system or
hauls or disposes of wastes removed therefrom.
(12) "Alternative private sewage disposal system" means any system designed to address a unique circumstance where the prescriptive requirements of the private sewage disposal code does not apply, where the final treatment and discharge is free flowing through native soil, and where (i) the projected wastewater is likely to be atypical of residential or domestic wastewater in that flow may exceed 1500 gallons per day; (ii) the 5-day biochemical oxygen demand of the wastewater may exceed 300 milligrams per liter; (iii) any portion of the system is to be shared by 2 or more owners; or (iv) any portion of the treated wastewater is proposed for recycling or reuse.
(13) "NPDES" means the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System.
(14) "Surface Discharging Private Sewage Disposal System" means a sewage disposal system that discharges into the waters of the United States, as that term is used in the Federal Water Pollution Control Act.
(Source: P.A. 95-656, eff. 10-11-07; 96-801, eff. 1-1-10.)