(225 ILCS 65/65-30)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2018)
APN scope of practice.
(a) Advanced practice nursing by certified nurse practitioners, certified nurse anesthetists, certified nurse midwives, or clinical nurse specialists is based on knowledge and skills acquired throughout an advanced practice nurse's nursing education, training, and experience.
(b) Practice as an advanced practice nurse means a scope of nursing practice, with or without compensation, and includes the registered nurse scope of practice.
(c) The scope of practice of an advanced practice nurse includes, but is not limited to, each of the following:
(1) Advanced nursing patient assessment and diagnosis.
(2) Ordering diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures, performing those tests and procedures when using health care equipment, and interpreting and using the results of diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures ordered by the advanced practice nurse or another health care professional.
(3) Ordering treatments, ordering or applying appropriate medical devices, and using nursing medical, therapeutic, and corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
(4) Providing palliative and end-of-life care.
(5) Providing advanced counseling, patient education, health education, and patient advocacy.
(6) Prescriptive authority as defined in Section 65-40 of this Act.
(7) Delegating selected nursing activities or tasks to a licensed practical nurse, a registered professional nurse, or other personnel.
(Source: P.A. 95-639, eff. 10-5-07.)