(110 ILCS 520/8i)
Vince Demuzio Governmental Internship Program.
(a) The president of the University, in consultation with the Board, shall establish a governmental internship program consisting of up to 30 governmental interns allocated between the Carbondale and Edwardsville campuses.
(b) In order to be eligible under the program, a person must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student during the entirety of his or her participation in the program.
(c) The following shall be the goals of the program:
(1) To attract highly motivated students into the
(2) To provide students with a broad overview of
(3) To offer students a unique hands-on experience.
(4) To provide students with a personal look into the
budgetary, legislative, and programmatic areas of State government.
(5) To provide students with a unique opportunity to
learn about and to advance into public service careers, including policy-making positions in government.
(6) To offer a governmental experience to meet the
public sector's future need for competent administrators.
(7) To provide a public sector internship that
encourages talented college graduates to consider careers in State government.
(8) To enable college graduates to supplement their
academic learning with practical governmental experience.
(9) To achieve diversity through the placement of
qualified minorities, women, and persons with disabilities.
(10) To enable the University to play an
ever-increasing role in directing talented students to consider careers in public service.
(d) All students participating in the program shall receive academic credit as determined by the University. Students shall also be compensated financially as determined by the University. The program shall not include a waiver of tuition or fees.
(e) The program is subject to specific annual appropriation by the General Assembly.
(Source: P.A. 94-479, eff. 8-5-05.)