(105 ILCS 5/13B-5)
Legislative findings and declarations.
The General Assembly
(1) It is the responsibility of each school district
to provide educational support for every student to meet Illinois Learning Standards.
(2) School districts need flexibility and financial
support to assist local schools in their efforts to provide students with educational and other services needed for students to successfully master the curriculum.
(3) Alternative education in this State has
traditionally provided student-centered curriculum, social services, and other support needed to help students succeed.
(4) Standards-based reform requires a comprehensive
approach to alternative education to ensure that every student has the opportunity to meet the State's rigorous learning standards.
(5) While school districts operating alternative
learning opportunities programs must comply with all applicable State and federal laws and rules, these districts should do so in a manner consistent with the goals and policies stated in this Article.
(Source: P.A. 92-42, eff. 1-1-02.)