(70 ILCS 3705/28.1) (from Ch. 111 2/3, par. 212.3-1)
    Sec. 28.1. The owner or owners of record of any area of land consisting of one or more tracts, lying within the corporate limits of any public water district which (1) is not contiguous in whole or in part to any other public water district; (2) contains twenty or more acres; (3) is not subdivided into municipal lots and blocks; (4) is located on the border of the public water district; (5) if disconnected, will not result in the isolation of any part of the public water district from the remainder of the public water district, may have the area disconnected as follows:
    The owner or owners of record of any such area shall file a petition in the Circuit Court of the county in which the land is situated, alleging facts in support of the disconnection. If such area of land is located in two or more counties, such petition shall be filed in the Circuit Court of the county in which the largest portion of such area of land is located. The public water district from which disconnection is sought shall be made a Defendant and it or any taxpayer residing in the public water district may appear and defend against the petition. If the court finds that the allegations of the petition are true, and that the area of land is entitled to disconnection, it shall order the designated land disconnected. However, the disconnection of any such land shall not exempt it from taxation for the purpose of paying any bonded indebtedness contracted by the district prior to the filing of the disconnection petition. The disconnection order shall be filed in the records of the court and a certified copy of the order shall be sent to the county clerk who shall adjust the tax records accordingly.
(Source: P.A. 83-343.)