(40 ILCS 5/8-213) (from Ch. 108 1/2, par. 8-213)
    Sec. 8-213. City contribution reserve. Amounts contributed by the city for age and service annuity, widow's annuity and supplemental annuity (except those in lieu of deductions from the salary contributed of an employee who receives duty disability benefit), the assets of the public school employees' pension fund superseded by this fund on July 1, 1923 which were transferred to this reserve, and all amounts transferred to this reserve from the investment and interest reserve, shall be credited to this reserve.
    At least once each year, before any transfer shall be made from this reserve to any other reserve, the sums credited in this reserve shall be improved by interest.
    When the annuity for an employee or his widow is fixed, and when supplemental annuity for a widow first becomes payable, the amount in this reserve for such annuity shall be transferred to the annuity payment reserve.
    If the credit in this reserve of any employee who withdraws from service before he attains age 65 is in excess of that required for his age and service annuity, or in excess of that required for widow's annuity (either or both), such amounts shall be retained in this reserve and improved by interest at the effective rate until the employee becomes age 65 or dies, whichever occurs first. Any such amounts shall then be used to reduce city contributions.
    With respect to employees whose wages are funded as participants under CETA, the board may elect to establish a separate manpower program reserve or account for funds made available by the federal government towards the employer's contribution. The manpower program reserve will be administered as is the City contribution reserve, except that where at variance it will be administered in accordance with the rules and regulations established by the Secretary of the United States Department of Labor or his designee.
    At the time that employees previously funded as participants under CETA lose their participant status and obtain unsubsidized employment with the employer, unsubsidized employment with another employer provided that benefits are portable, or obtain vesting status, as defined by the Secretary of Labor or his designee, a transfer of funds equivalent to the amount of contributions made for such employees will be made out of the manpower program reserve. For prior CETA participants who continue as employees in public service which is covered by a participating retirement system, the sums will be credited to the regular City contribution reserve.
(Source: P.A. 81-1536.)