(30 ILCS 375/6)
(from Ch. 85, par. 846)
The Department shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To require such reports from local governments as will enable it
adequately to provide the technical and advisory assistance authorized by
this act and to perform the regulatory functions required by the act. The
reports shall provide the necessary information for a complete file on
local government debt, which shall be kept open for public inspection at
the Department office.
(2) To encourage, conduct or participate in training courses in debt and
general fiscal management and procedures and practices for the benefit of
local officials, and in connection therewith, to cooperate with
associations of public officials, business and professional organizations,
university faculties, or other specialists.
(3) To conduct studies in debt management, including ways and means of
appraising the terms of alternative bids. The Department may employ expert
consultants to assist in such studies.
(4) To employ or contract for the services of personnel necessary to
carry out the provisions of this act, subject to the provisions of the
(5) All departments, divisions, boards, bureaus, commissions, or other
agencies of the state government shall provide such assistance and
information as, not inconsistent with law, the Department may require to
enable it to carry out its duties under this act.
(6) To compile and publish annually a report on its technical assistance
and advisory activities. Such report shall include detailed information on
local government long-term debt issued and retired during the previous
fiscal year and outstanding at the close of the previous fiscal year, and
such additional statistical data on local government finances that are
obtained by the Department pursuant to paragraph (1) of this section.
(Source: P.A. 77-1504.)