(20 ILCS 4070/15)
Purposes of Commission.
The purposes of the Commission include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) To work in partnership with community leaders,
educators, religious leaders, social service agencies, elected officials, and the public to identify and uproot sources of discrimination and bias at the source.
(2) To work with local governments, law enforcement
officials and prosecutors, educators, and community organizations by assisting with the development of resources, training, and information that allow for a swift and efficient response to hate-motivated crimes and incidents.
(3) To work with educators throughout Illinois on
issues concerning discrimination and hate, teaching acceptance, and embracing diversity at academic institutions.
(4) To help ensure that this State's laws addressing
discrimination and hate-related violence are widely known and applied correctly to help eradicate and prevent crimes based on discrimination and intolerance.
(5) To make recommendations to the Governor and the
General Assembly for statutory and programmatic changes necessary to eliminate discrimination and hate-based violence.
(6) To help implement recommendations by working with
State agencies, the General Assembly, the business community, the social service community, and other organizations.
(Source: P.A. 95-425, eff. 8-24-07.)