(20 ILCS 3105/17)
Historic area preference.
(a) The State of Illinois shall give preference to locating its facilities, whenever operationally appropriate and economically feasible, in historic properties and buildings located within government recognized historic districts or central business districts designated as such by a local or regional planning agency.
When making a determination that a project is operationally appropriate and economically feasible, the following shall also be taken into consideration:
(1) Need for geographic diversity to service a
(2) Promoting regional and local economic development.
(3) Availability of space in historic buildings,
districts, and central business districts.
(4) Cost of available space.
(5) Proximity of public transportation and affordable
(6) Public safety.
(b) The following State facilities are exempted from the requirements of this Section:
(1) Correctional facilities.
(2) Facilities owned or used by any public university
(3) State parks, nature areas, and similar facilities.
(4) State highways and roads and supporting
(5) New buildings that support the function or
operation of an existing facility or campus.
This Section shall not apply to any facilities occupied by the State of Illinois prior to the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 95th General Assembly or to any project for which a lease or construction contract is in effect as of the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 95th General Assembly.
(Source: P.A. 95-101, eff. 8-13-07.)