(20 ILCS 2630/4.5)
Ethnic and racial data collection.
(a) Ethnic and racial data for every adult or juvenile arrested shall be collected at the following points of contact by the entity identified in this subsection or another entity authorized and qualified to collect and report on this data:
(1) at arrest or booking, by the supervising law
(2) upon admittance to the Department of Corrections,
by the Department of Corrections;
(3) upon admittance to the Department of Juvenile
Justice, by the Department of Juvenile Justice; and
(4) upon transfer from the Department of Juvenile
Justice to the Department of Corrections, by the Department of Juvenile Justice.
(b) Ethnic and racial data shall be collected through selection of one of the following categories:
(1) American Indian or Alaskan Native;
(2) Asian or Pacific Islander;
(3) Black or African American;
(4) White or Caucasian;
(5) Hispanic or Latino; or
(c) The collecting entity shall make a good-faith effort to collect race and ethnicity information as self-reported by the adult or juvenile. If the adult or juvenile is unable or unwilling to provide race and ethnicity information, the collecting entity shall make a good-faith effort to deduce the race and ethnicity of the adult or juvenile.
(Source: P.A. 98-528, eff. 1-1-15; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)