(20 ILCS 2310/2310-215)
(was 20 ILCS 2310/55.62)
Center for Minority Health Services.
(a) The Department shall establish a Center for Minority Health
Services to advise the Department on matters pertaining to the health needs
of minority populations within the State.
(b) The Center shall have the following duties:
(1) To assist in the assessment of the health needs
of minority populations in the State.
(2) To recommend treatment methods and programs that
are sensitive and relevant to the unique linguistic, cultural, and ethnic characteristics of minority populations.
(3) To provide consultation, technical assistance,
training programs, and reference materials to service providers, organizations, and other agencies.
(4) To promote awareness of minority health concerns,
and encourage, promote, and aid in the establishment of minority services.
(5) To disseminate information on available minority
(6) To provide adequate and effective opportunities
for minority populations to express their views on Departmental policy development and program implementation.
(7) To coordinate with the Department on Aging and
the Department of Healthcare and Family Services to coordinate services designed to meet the needs of minority senior citizens.
(8) To promote awareness of the incidence of
Alzheimer's disease and related dementias among minority populations and to encourage, promote, and aid in the establishment of prevention and treatment programs and services relating to this health problem.
(c) For the purpose of this Section, "minority" shall mean and include
any person or group of persons who are any of the following:
(1) American Indian or Alaska Native (a person having
origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America, including Central America, and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment).
(2) Asian (a person having origins in any of the
original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent, including, but not limited to, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam).
(3) Black or African American (a person having
origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa). Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American".
(4) Hispanic or Latino (a person of Cuban, Mexican,
Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race).
(5) Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (a
person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands).
(Source: P.A. 97-396, eff. 1-1-12.)