(20 ILCS 515/15)
Child death review teams; establishment.
(a) The Director, in consultation with the Executive Council, law
enforcement, and other
professionals who work in the field of investigating, treating, or preventing
child abuse or neglect in that subregion, shall appoint members to a child
team in each of the Department's administrative subregions of the State outside
Cook County and at least one child death review team in Cook County. The
members of a team shall be appointed for 2-year terms and
shall be eligible for reappointment upon the expiration of the terms. The Director must fill any vacancy in a team within 60 days after that vacancy occurs.
(b) Each child death review team shall consist of at least one member from
each of the following categories:
(1) Pediatrician or other physician knowledgeable
about child abuse and neglect.
(2) Representative of the Department.
(3) State's attorney or State's attorney's
(4) Representative of a local law enforcement agency.
(5) Psychologist or psychiatrist.
(6) Representative of a local health department.
(7) Representative of a school district or other
education or child care interests.
(8) Coroner or forensic pathologist.
(9) Representative of a child welfare agency or child
(10) Representative of a local hospital, trauma
center, or provider of emergency medical services.
(11) Representative of the Department of State
(12) Representative of the Department of Public
Each child death review team may make recommendations to the Director
concerning additional appointments.
Each child death review team member must have demonstrated experience and an
interest in investigating, treating, or preventing child abuse or neglect.
(c) Each child death review team shall select a chairperson from among its
The chairperson shall also serve on the Illinois Child Death Review Teams
(d) The child death review teams shall be funded under a separate line item in the Department's annual budget.
(Source: P.A. 100-397, eff. 1-1-18