(15 ILCS 410/8c)
(from Ch. 15, par. 419)
Duties and powers of the Commission.
The Merit Commission,
in addition to any other duties prescribed in this Act, shall have the
duties and powers:
(1) Upon written recommendations by the Director to
from jurisdiction B of this Act positions which, in the judgment of the
Commission, are by their nature highly confidential or involve principal
administrative responsibility for the determination of policy or principal
administrative responsibility for the way in which policies are carried out.
(2) To require such special reports from the Director as it may consider
(3) To disapprove original rules or any part thereof and any amendment
thereof within 30 calendar days after the submission of such rules to the
by the Director.
(4) To disapprove within 30 calendar days from date of submission the
classification plan and any revisions thereof submitted by the Director
as provided in the rules.
(5) To hear appeals of employees who do not accept the allocation of their
positions under the classification plan.
(6) To hear and approve or disapprove written charges filed seeking the
discharge or demotion of employees or suspension totaling more than 30 calendar
in any 12 month period, as provided in Section 9, appeals as provided in
Section 9a of this Act, and appeals from transfers from one geographical
area in the state to another, and in connection therewith to administer
oaths, subpoena witnesses and compel the production of books and papers.
(7) To make an annual report regarding the work of the Commission to the
Comptroller, such report to be a public record.
(8) If any violation of this Act is found, the Commission shall direct
compliance in writing.
(9) To appoint such employees, experts and special assistants as may be
necessary to carry out the powers and duties of the commission under this
Act. Employees, experts and special assistants so appointed by the Commission
shall be subject to jurisdictions A, B and C of this Act.
(10) To make rules to carry out and implement their powers and duties
under this Act, with authority to amend such rules from time to time.
(Source: P.A. 90-24 eff. 6-20-97.)