(10 ILCS 5/20-1)
(from Ch. 46, par. 20-1)
The following words and phrases contained in this Article
shall be construed as follows:
1. "Territorial limits of the United States" means each of the several
States of the United States and includes the District of Columbia, the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands; but does not
include American Samoa, the Canal Zone, the Trust Territory of the Pacific
Islands or any other territory or possession of the United States.
2. "Member of the United States Service" means (a) members of the Armed
Forces while on active duty and their spouses and dependents of voting
age when residing with or accompanying them, (b) members of the Merchant
Marine of the United States and their spouses and dependents when residing
with or accompanying them and (c) United States government employees serving
outside the territorial limits of the United States.
3. "Citizens of the United States temporarily residing outside the
territorial limits of the United States" means civilian citizens of the
United States and their spouses and dependents of voting age when residing
with or accompanying them, who maintain a precinct residence in a county in
this State and whose intent to return may be ascertained.
4. "Non-Resident Civilian Citizens" means civilian citizens of the United
States (a) who reside outside the territorial limits of the United States,
(b) who had maintained a precinct residence in a county in this State
immediately prior to their departure from the United States, (c) who do not
maintain a residence and are not registered to vote in any other State, and
(d) whose intent to return to this State may be uncertain.
5. "Official postcard" means the postcard application for registration
to vote or for a vote by mail ballot in the form provided in Section 204(c)
of the Federal Voting Rights Act of 1955, as amended (42 U.S.C. 1973cc-14(c)).
6. "Federal office" means the offices of President and Vice-President
of the United States, United States Senator, Representative in Congress,
delegates and alternate delegates to the national nominating conventions
and candidates for the Presidential Preference Primary.
7. "Federal election" means any general, primary or special election at
which candidates are nominated or elected to Federal office.
8. "Dependent", for purposes of this Article, shall mean a father, mother,
brother, sister, son or daughter.
9. "Electronic transmission" includes, but is not limited to, transmission by electronic mail or the Internet.
(Source: P.A. 98-1171, eff. 6-1-15