TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1100 RULES OF THE ROAD - HANDICAPPED PARKING
SECTION 1100.20 PERSON-WITH-DISABILITIES PARKING DECALS OR DEVICES
Section 1100.20 Person-with-Disabilities Parking Decals or Devices
a) The decals or devices issued by State and local authorities according to the provisions of 625 ILCS 5/11-1301.2 shall be the following size, color, design, duration, and placement.
1) Size − 3" x 9½"
2) Color − Permanent and temporary decals or devices shall be of differing distinctive and contrasting colors.
3) Design, Placement, Manufacturing − The decal or device shall contain the international symbol of access, the registration number for the decal or device, the expiration date of the decal or device, and the name of the issuing agent. Decals shall be placed on the rearview mirror of the vehicle while the vehicle is parked in the person-with-disabilities parking space or metered space, and shall be removed while the vehicle is in motion. If the person is incapable of putting the decal or device on the rearview mirror because of his/her physical disability, the decal or device may be placed on the dashboard of the car in clear view.
4) Duration of the Temporary Decal or Device − Secretary of State Issue: Temporary decals or devices provided by the Secretary of State shall be issued to individuals whose disability is temporary in nature. The temporary decal or device shall be issued for the time specified by the physician certification, but shall not exceed six months. Recertification of disability is required upon application for renewal.
5) Duration of Temporary Decal or Device − Unit of Local Government Issue: Temporary decals or devices provided by units of local government shall be issued to individuals whose disability is temporary in nature. The temporary decal or device shall be issued for the time specified by the physician certification, but shall not exceed 90 days. Recertification of disability is required upon application for renewal.
6) Duration of Permanent Decal: The permanent decals or devices issued prior to January 1, 1998 shall expire June 30, 1998. The permanent decals or devices issued on or after January 1, 1998 shall expire every four years beginning with the April 30, 2002 expiration date. A physician's certification of the permanent disability is required beginning with renewal of permanent decals or devices set to expire June 30, 1998.
b) The vehicle in which the disabled parking decal or device is displayed need not bear Illinois registration plates. However, the vehicle's registration plates must be valid and issued in accordance with the individual's ruling state/jurisdiction.