TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1030 ISSUANCE OF LICENSES
SECTION 1030.92 RESTRICTIONS
Section 1030.92 Restrictions
a) A driver services facility representative shall have the authority to determine license restrictions. No restriction shall be added until the driving test, if required, is given unless the restriction is due to a vision or hearing defect.
b) If a change in a person's physical and/or visual condition is discovered by a facility representative, the representative has the authority to add, delete or change the restrictions.
c) A Type B restriction requires corrective eye lenses. This restriction is added when a person needs corrective eye lenses to meet visual acuity standards as provided in Section 1030.70. This restriction includes eye glasses and contact lenses in one or both eyes, pursuant to Section 1030.75.
d) A Type C restriction requires the driver to use one or more mechanical aids (e.g., hand operated brake, gearshift extension, shoulder harness, or foot operated steering wheel) to assist with the proper and safe operation of the vehicle.
e) A Type D restriction requires the driver to use one or more prosthetic aids (e.g., artificial legs, artificial hands, hook on right or left arm, or brace on each leg) while operating a motor vehicle.
f) A Type E restriction requires automatic transmission. An automatic transmission restriction is added when a driver is unable to operate a standard shift vehicle due to the minimal use of one or both arms and/or legs.
g) A Type F restriction requires left and right outside rearview mirrors when a driver is hearing impaired, has a monocular visual acuity reading of 20/100 or worse in either eye, requires a right outside rearview mirror because of problems turning the head while backing, cannot meet the peripheral vision requirements of Section 1030.70(a), and/or takes the road test in a right hand-driven vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side. A driver may be restricted to both left and right rearview mirrors if minimum peripheral standards are met by the use of only one eye in accordance with Sections 1030.70 and 1030.75.
h) A Type G restriction requires the driver to drive only in the daylight. This restriction is added when a driver has binocular visual acuity that does not meet the 20/40 minimum in accordance with Section 1030.70(a), but is not worse than 20/70. People who want to drive utilizing a non-standard lens arrangement pursuant to Section 1030.75 are restricted to daylight driving only.
i) A Type J restriction with appropriate numerical indicators includes other restrictions not listed in this Section. These Type J restrictions and numerical indicators are as follows:
1) J01 Driver has been issued an Illinois Medical Restriction Card, which must be carried in addition to a valid Illinois driver's license/permit.
2) J02 Driver authorized to operate a religious organization bus within classification, as provided in IVC Section 6-106.2.
3) J03 Driver authorized to operate a religious organization bus or van within Class D only. The driver took the religious organization bus test in a Class D vehicle, but may hold a Class A, B or C license.
4) J04 Driver authorized to operate a religious organization bus or van within Class C or a lesser classification vehicle only. The driver took the religious organization bus test in a Class C vehicle, but may hold a Class A or B license.
5) J05 Driver authorized to operate a senior citizen transportation vehicle within classification. The driver operates a vehicle that is utilized solely for the purpose of providing transportation for senior citizens, as provided in IVC Section 6-106.3.
6) J06 Driver authorized to operate a senior citizen transportation vehicle within Class D only. The driver took the senior citizen transportation vehicle test in a Class D vehicle, but may hold a Class A, B or C license.
7) J07 Driver authorized to operate a senior citizen transportation vehicle within written Class C vehicle, or a lesser classification vehicle only. The driver took the senior citizen transportation vehicle test in a Class C vehicle, but may hold a Class A or B license.
8) J08 Driver authorized to operate a commuter van in a for-profit ridesharing arrangement within classification, as provided in IVC Section 6-106.4.
9) J09 Driver who is 16 or 17 years of age authorized to operate either Class L motor-driven cycles or Class M motorcycles, as provided in IVC Section 6-103(2).
10) J10 Driver restricted to the operation of a vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 pounds or less.
11) J11 Indicates the driver took the road test on a three-wheel motorcycle (Class M) or three-wheel motor-driven cycle (Class L) and is restricted to a three-wheel cycle of the proper class.
12) J14 Restricted to the use of a non-standard lens arrangement pursuant to Section 1030.75 when operating a motor vehicle. (Lens arrangement may be designed for monocular or binocular vision.)
13) J15 Special Restrictions − An applicant may have special restrictions applied specifically to the vehicle the applicant is operating at the time a road test is being administered by a facility examiner. These special restrictions may apply only when the applicant is operating that particular motor vehicle. This J15 restriction only applies to variations of C, D or E restrictions. To remove a special restriction or to operate another motor vehicle would require the applicant to be administered another road test in the new vehicle.
14) J16 Moped Only Authorizes an applicant holding a Class L license to operate a moped only.
15) J17 Authorizes a person holding a Class L or M license to operate a motorcycle or motor driven cycle with rear wheel extensions while maintaining a single front wheel.
16) J33 Driver authorized to operate a Class D vehicle using a non-standard lens arrangement, pursuant to Section 1030.75, during nighttime hours.
17) J50 Farm waived non-CDL (Class A only) Allows farmers or a member of the farmer's family who is 21 years of age or older and has completed all of the applicable exams (core, combination, air brake, and all three parts of the road test) to drive a farm waived non-CDL (Class A only) vehicle. Those eligible may operate the truck/tractor semi-trailer to transport farm products, equipment or supplies to or from a farm, if used within 150 air miles of the farm, and not used in the operations of a common or contract carrier.
18) J71 No photo or signature out of state at renewal license issued to driver who is temporarily absent from State of Illinois at expiration date of his/her driver's license.
19) J72 No photo or signature out of country at renewal license issued to driver who is temporarily residing outside the United States of America at the expiration date of his/her driver's license.
20) J73 No photo or signature military or military dependent license issued at the expiration of the driver's license of the licensee, spouse and dependent children who are living with the licensee while on active duty serving in the Armed Forces of the United States outside the State of Illinois.
21) J74 Military deferral card issued at the expiration of the driver's license to extend the expiration while in the military of the licensee, spouse and dependent children who are living with the licensee while on active duty serving in the Armed Forces of the United States outside the State of Illinois.
22) J75 No photo or signature administrative approval license to driver who having his/her photograph taken is against his/her religious convictions or has a serious facial disfigurement.
23) J88 Deaf/Hard of Hearing − requires alternative forms of communication.
24) J89 Aphasia an impairment of language ability.
25) J99 Indicates more than two J restrictions have been placed on the license.
j) A Type K restriction indicates the driver is authorized to operate a commercial motor vehicle intrastate only.
k) A Type L restriction indicates that the person is not authorized to operate vehicles equipped with air brakes.
l) A Type M restriction indicates P endorsement only valid in a Class B or lesser classification vehicle.
m) A Type N restriction indicates P endorsement only valid in a Class C or lesser classification vehicle.
n) A type V restriction indicates FMCSA has granted a medical variance to operate a CMV within the boundaries of the United States in accordance with 49 CFR 391.41 (2011).
o) An applicant who wants to appeal a type of restriction that has been added to a driver's license, depending on the type of restriction, shall:
1) For Type B, C, D, E, F, G, J01, or any other medical restriction that has been added to the driver's license pursuant to the restrictions contained in subsection (i), follow the manner prescribed by this Part.
2) For any other types of restrictions that have been added to the driver's license pursuant to this Section, appeal to the Department of Administrative Hearings pursuant to IVC Section 2-118.
3) Further review of all restrictions shall be conducted by the courts pursuant to the Administrative Review Law [735 ILCS 5/Art. III].
(Source: Amended at 37 Ill. Reg. 7776, effective May 22, 2013)