TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1010 CERTIFICATES OF TITLE, REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
SECTION 1010.480 STATE OF ILLINOIS IN-TRANSIT PLATES
Section 1010.480 State of Illinois In-Transit Plates
a) The Secretary of State may issue to any State agency financed by funds appropriated by the General Assembly, special State of Illinois In-Transit Plates.
b) Said plates shall only be allowed on State owned vehicles and used only for the following purposes:
1) The transportation of newly acquired vehicles to the dealership for warranty repairs; or
2) The transportation of used vehicles to auction for securing sale; or
3) The transportation of vehicles for use in other geographical locations within the State of Illinois; or
4) The transportation of vehicles for any special use when such vehicles do not have permanent registration plates.
c) Said special plates shall have the following characteristics:
1) Bear the words "STATE OF ILLINOIS IN-TRANSIT";
2) A plate number and the year issued;
3) Shall not have an expiration date. Said plates shall be issued for an indefinite period of time.
d) If a special plate is lost or stolen or needs to be replaced, the State agency shall make written request for replacement, stating the reasons why. If no replacement is requested then written notice shall be given to the Secretary of State that said special plate is no longer needed.