TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1000 GENERAL RULES, DEFINITIONS
SECTION 1000.70 DEPARTMENT OF POLICE
Section 1000.70 Department of Police
a) The investigators authorized pursuant to Section 2-115 of the Illinois Vehicle Code [625 ILCS 5/2-115] shall be appointed by the Secretary and organized into the Department of Police.
b) The Department of Police, which is headquartered in Springfield, Illinois, shall have District headquarters throughout Illinois to enable the Department to best distribute its supervisory responsibilities and work load.
c) The employees of the Department of Police shall be subject to the Secretary of State Merit Employment Code [15 ILCS 310]; the Office of the Secretary of State's rules entitled Department of Personnel (80 Ill. Adm. Code 420) and the Department of Police General Orders. Where there is conflict between the policies of the Office and the General Orders of Police, the Office policies shall prevail.
d) Sworn personnel
1) Sworn personnel shall mean the peace officers within the Department of Police.
2) The grades of sworn personnel, from lowest to highest, shall be Investigator Trainee, Investigator, Investigator Sergeant, Investigator Lieutenant, and Investigator Commander. Position descriptions for these employees shall be established by the Department of Personnel in accordance with Section 10a of the Secretary of State Merit Employment Code and 80 Ill. Adm. Code 420.210.
3) New sworn personnel shall be hired in accordance with Section 10b of the Secretary of State Merit Employment Code and shall be required to successfully complete certain terms and conditions under the Secretary of State Merit Employment Code that include, but are not limited to, the following:
A) An examination for Investigators or Investigator Trainees as prescribed by the Director of Personnel, Office of the Secretary of State.
B) A physical ability test, consistent with the physical ability standards set forth by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (20 Ill. Adm. Code 1720.20.Appendix A) prior to the entrance into any of the Illinois certified basic police academies.
C) A background investigation conducted by the Department of Police to determine if the applicant has any criminal convictions and to verify that all information contained in the applicant's application is true and accurate.
D) A medical and a psychological examination using standard criteria.
4) Application and Testing Procedures for Investigator Sergeants. Any applicant for the position of Investigator Sergeant must complete or successfully pass the following application procedure:
A) The filing of the standard personnel application form with the Department of Personnel with a copy to the Department of Police.
B) An examination for Investigator Sergeant as prescribed by the Director of Personnel, Office of the Secretary of State.
C) An oral interview conducted by a panel of sworn officers of the Department in the grade of at least Investigator Sergeant, appointed by the Director to determine the applicant's qualifications and suitability for promotion to the rank of Investigator Sergeant.
e) Miscellaneous provisions pertaining to the Department of Police
1) The Department of Police shall collect a storage fee in the amount of $5.00 per day from any person or entity owning a vehicle which is stored on Secretary of State property for any reason. Fees shall be deposited in the Secretary of State Police Services Fund.
2) The Department of Police, to implement Section 3-308 of the Illinois Vehicle Code, shall operate inspection stations at various locations throughout Illinois as the workload of inspecting rebuilt and salvage vehicles requires.
(Source: Amended at 34 Ill. Reg. 2755, effective February 2, 2010)