TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
SUBCHAPTER f: HIGHWAYS
PART 564 SLOW-MOVING VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION EMBLEM
SECTION 564.APPENDIX A HIGHLIGHTS OF ASAE S276.5, FEBRUARY 2003
Section 564.APPENDIX A Highlights of ASAE S276.5, February 2003
The following highlights are actual specifications from the ASAE S276.5, February 2003 document and are being provided to assist in the purchase of the appropriate emblem and in the proper mounting of the emblem on a vehicle. However, the specifications in this Appendix A are not all-inclusive. While the description, material and mounting requirements found in subsection (a) through (c) of Appendix A are the same as those contained in ASAE 276.5, February 2003, additional specifications applicable to the manufacturers of the emblem are incorporated by reference at Section 564.40 and are contained in the actual ASAE 276.5, February 2003 document.
1) The identification emblem consists of a fluorescent, orange equilateral triangle with a red retroreflective border positioned with a point of the triangle up. The red-orange fluorescent triangle provides for daylight identification. The red retro-reflective border appears as a hollow red triangle in the path of motor vehicle headlights at night. The emblem may be movable or vehicular mounted.
2) The emblem manufacturer’s name and company address will be on the face of the emblem, along with a statement certifying that the emblem is in compliance with ASAE S276.5. This information shall be clearly and permanently marked on the face of the emblem. It will appear only in the lower center or lower right-hand corner of the emblem. On movable emblems, the information may be located on the reverse side of the backing material.
b) Material Requirements
1) Visibility of retroreflective materials. The emblem shall be visible at night as a hollow red triangle from all distances between 600 and 1000 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful vehicle low beam headlights.
2) Visibility of fluorescent materials. The emblem shall be visible in the daylight as a red-orange fluorescent triangle from all distances between 600 and 1000 feet.
c) Position of Emblem
1) The emblem shall be mounted with the point of the triangle upward.
2) Emblems shall be mounted in a plane perpendicular to the direction of travel and ± 20 degrees from the vertical. The emblem shall be visible from the rear of a slow-moving vehicle.
3) The emblem shall be displayed as near to the rear and centered, or as near to the left of center of the vehicle or equipment as practical. It shall be located 2 to 10 feet above the ground measured from the lower edge of the emblem.
4) The emblem shall be securely and rigidly affixed to the equipment. Movable emblems may be mounted by using the socket and bracket specified in ANSI/ASAE S277, or by other means that provide secure and rigid attachment.
5) The effective reflectivity and fluorescence of the emblem shall be unobscured to the extent that the triangular shape is readily identifiable both day and night.