TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
SUBCHAPTER f: HIGHWAYS
PART 522 CONTROL OF OUTDOOR ADVERTISING ADJACENT TO PRIMARY AND INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS
SECTION 522.150 SIGNS THAT MAY NOT BE ERECTED OR MAINTAINED
Section 522.150 Signs that may not be Erected or Maintained
The following signs shall not be erected or maintained:
a) Signs located within the right-of-way of an Interstate or primary highway or on any structure, wire, cable, or other device over or above an Interstate or primary highway right-of-way except the following:
1) Signs designating the name of the railroad which owns the bridge.
2) Signs designating the clearance provided (Section 9-112.1 and 9-112.2 of the Code) by the bridge.
3) Public utility signs.
4) Signs required by the Code.
5) Signs required by the Illinois Vehicle Code [625 ILCS 5].
6) Signs, displays and devices giving specific information in the interest of the traveling public erected and maintained by the Department or by the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority.
b) Signs that attempt or appear to attempt to direct the movement of traffic or which contain wording, color or shape which is similar to official traffic control signs or other traffic control devices. (Section 9-112.2 of the Code)
c) Signs that contain oscillating, rotating, flashing, intermittent or moving light or lights (Section 9-112.2 of the Code), except the following:
1) Signs giving public service information including but not limited to time, weather, date and temperature (Section 6.02(a) of the Act) and multiple message signs with displays that change not more frequently than once every 10 seconds.
2) Pole supported business or brand identification signs inside business areas with constant illumination and color and in which the only movement is a slow rotation of the entire body of the sign so as to be visible from all directions. (Section 9-112.2 of the Code)
3) On premise signs which comply with Section 522.190(g).
d) Signs that are erected, painted or drawn upon trees, rocks or other natural features. (Section 5 of the Act)
e) Signs that are obsolete (i.e., advertises something that is no longer there), abandoned (i.e., where no message or display appears for one year, unless such display advertises the availability of the sign), or structurally unsafe or in disrepair (Section 5 of the Act), unless such structural conditions may be repaired in accordance with the provisions of the Act, and the sign owner agrees in writing to make the repairs within 30 days after receipt of the notice to remove.
f) Signs that project beams or rays of light at the travelled way of a State highway or cause such beams or rays to create glare or to impair the vision of a driver of any motor vehicle. (Section 6.02(b) of the Act)
g) Signs that are located within 1,000 feet of official traffic signs, signals, or devices and obscure or interfere with a driver's view of such sign, signal or device. (Section 6.03(a) of the Act)
h) Signs that are located within 1,000 feet of approaching, merging or intersecting traffic and obscure or interfere with a driver's view of such traffic. (Section 6.03(a) of the Act)
i) Signs that require a permit for erection or registration under this Part and for which no permit or registration has been issued.
j) Signs that advertise activities that are illegal under Federal, State or local law in effect at the location of those signs or activities.
k) Signs (other than multiple message signs) that contain any animated or moving parts. (Section 4.02(g) of the Act)
l) Signs that violate airport hazard zoning regulations adopted by the Department pursuant to the Airport Zoning Act [620 ILCS 25]. (See Illustration J.)
m) Signs erected adjacent to a scenic byway that is a primary or Interstate highway after August 2, 1996, except those signs described in Sections 4.01, 4.02, 4.03, 4.06 and 4.08 of the Act. (Section 5(d) of the Act)
n) Registered non-conforming signs that are damaged, as defined in Section 522.20 (definition of Damaged Signs), unless maintained or repaired, as defined in Section 522.20 (definition of Erect).
(Source: Amended at 35 Ill. Reg. 8523, effective May 17, 2011)