TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER IV: DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER f: EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES
PART 827 RULES OF CONDUCT, DISCIPLINE, SUSPENSION AND DISCHARGE PROCEDURES
SECTION 827.60 CASE STUDY EVALUATION TO DETERMINE WHETHER A STUDENT IS INAPPROPRIATELY PLACED
Section 827.60 Case Study Evaluation to Determine Whether a Student is Inappropriately Placed
a) When the State School's administrators, faculty members, other staff, or consultants have reason to believe that a student at the State School is inappropriately placed, a case study evaluation will be conducted. The evaluation will not be limited to the student's primary disability, but will include any disability that may be relevant to the determination that the student is or is not appropriately placed at the State School. Case Study Evaluation to Determine Need for Modification of Educational Service (89 Ill. Adm. Code 795.30) sets forth additional requirements.
b) The parent(s) and the local school district will be informed of the reasons for the case study evaluation and the kind of data the evaluators intend to develop. The evaluation shall be subject to parental consent.
c) In interpreting evaluation data and in making placement decisions, the State School will:
1) draw upon information from a variety of sources, including aptitude and achievement tests, teacher recommendations, physical condition, social or cultural background and adaptive behavior;
2) ensure that information obtained from all such sources is documented and carefully considered; and
3) ensure that the placement decision is made by a group of persons, knowledgeable about the student, e.g., parents, educators, psychologist, social workers, student care specialists, supervisors, administrators, medical practitioners and others knowledgeable about the student and/or the evaluative data.
d) A decision to terminate the placement of a student at the State School must be made in accordance with Section 827.50 of this Part. A conference will be held that includes, at a minimum, the following participants:
1) A representative of each department of the State School, other than the student's teacher, who is qualified to provide, or supervise the provision of, special education. Such divisions include educational, residential, medical, social services, evaluation, and administration;
2) The student's teacher;
3) One or both of the student's parents;
4) The student, as appropriate, if the social worker or a conference participant requests his/her attendance, or the student is 17 years of age or older;
5) A representative of the local school district of parental/student residence; and
6) Other individuals, at the discretion of the parent, the local school district or the State School. Other individuals are allowed who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the student, including related services personnel as appropriate.
e) The recommendation of the conference will be the consensus of the participants, in accordance with Recommendations (89 Ill. Adm. Code 795.60). The conference participants will prepare a written statement detailing the reasons for the termination, including the type of services the participants believe the student needs and the reasons the State School cannot provide those services.
f) The termination of a student's placement is an appealable issue under Impartial Due Process Hearing (89 Ill. Adm. Code 828). The State School will inform the parents of their right to request an impartial hearing should the conference recommend termination of the student's placement.
(Source: Added at 23 Ill. Reg. 10249, effective August 10, 1999)