TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER III: DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER e: REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
PART 408 LICENSING STANDARDS FOR GROUP DAY CARE HOMES
SECTION 408.75 DISCIPLINE OF CHILDREN
Section 408.75 Discipline of Children
a) The caregiver shall use disciplinary measures designed and carried out in such a way as to help individual children develop self-control and assume responsibility for their own acts.
1) The caregiver shall establish simple, understandable rules so that expectations and limitations are clear to the child.
2) Discipline shall be in proportion to the particular inappropriate behavior.
3) Discipline shall be related to the child's act and be handled immediately by the adult involved so the child is aware of the relationship between acts and consequences.
4) Removal from the other children as a means of helping a child gain control shall be for a number of minutes not to exceed the child's age in years. Removal from the group shall not be used for children less than 24 months of age.
b) No child shall be subjected to extreme punishment.
1) No child shall be subjected to physical punishment, nor can shaming, frightening, or humiliating methods be used.
2) There shall be no verbal abuse, threats, or derogatory remarks about the child or the child's family.
3) Depriving a child of meals or any part of meals shall never be used as punishment.
4) No child shall be punished for toilet accidents.
(Source: Amended at 25 Ill. Reg. 5281, effective April 1, 2001)