TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER IV: DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER b: ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS
PART 121 SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (SNAP)
SECTION 121.172 BASIC EDUCATION ACTIVITY
Section 121.172 Basic Education Activity
a) In the Basic Education activity, Food Stamp Employment and Training staff provide information, referral, counseling services and supportive services to individuals to increase their employment potential and to remove significant barriers to employment. Individuals may be referred to testing, counseling and education resources, rehabilitation therapy, and agencies or programs that sponsor such activities.
b) Eligibility Criteria. Approval of education and training plans is based upon the Department's assessment of the following factors:
1) The program selected will lead to unsubsidized employment, taking into consideration the time required to complete, and the over-all cost and quality of the program;
2) An individual has the aptitude, ability and interest necessary for success in the particular education or training program (as determined by such factors as test results, educational background and previous training);
3) The program must be administered by an educational institution accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education or the Department of Professional Regulation or funded by the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) (29 USC 2801 et seq.);
4) An individual must apply for the Pell grant and scholarships
from the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, as well as any scholarships or
grants identified by the education or training facility for which an individual
may be eligible;
5) An individual does not possess a high school diploma or a GED certificate;
6) An individual must participate for a minimum of 20 hours per month unless participating as part of an Earnfare work program.
c) Participation Requirements
1) An individual must maintain a level of satisfactory progress as established and reported by the educational facility.
2) Failure of an individual to attend training or education classes three times in a 30-day period, without good cause(see Section 121.186), shall result in a sanction (see Section 121.184). Failure to participate, without good cause, in classes as defined by the education or training facility shall result in a sanction (see Section 121.184).
3) Curriculum changes can be made only with the prior written approval of local office staff. Prior approval will be granted when the curriculum change is consistent with the written goals of the training program.
4) An individual must provide monthly verification of attendance and progress (for example, statements signed by the instructor, educational records and reports prepared at the end of the term).
d) An individual is to contact the local office worker on a monthly basis if the supportive service payments identified in Section 121.188 are being issued.
e) If the Department determines the individual should be in the Basic Education activity, but there are no appropriate slots available, the individual may be assigned to another appropriate activity while waiting for an appropriate Basic Education slot to become available.
(Source: Amended at 26 Ill. Reg. 13530, effective September 3, 2002)