TITLE 83: PUBLIC UTILITIES
CHAPTER I: ILLINOIS COMMERCE COMMISSION
SUBCHAPTER c: ELECTRIC UTILITIES
PART 421 ENVIRONMENTAL DISCLOSURE
SECTION 421.40 CUSTOMER BILLING DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS
Section 421.40 Customer Billing Disclosure Statements
a) Every utility and ARES shall, on at least a quarterly basis, provide in billing inserts the following information, in a clearly legible manner, to the maximum extent practicable:
1) A break-down, on a percentage basis, of the known sources of electricity supplied in Illinois. This break-down shall provide percentages of biomass power, coal-fired power, hydro power, natural gas-fired power, nuclear power, oil-fired power, solar power, wind power, other resources and unknown resources purchased from other companies, respectively.
A) The percentage used shall be rounded to the nearest whole number.
B) Any source of electricity in subsection (a)(1) that is not used shall be listed in the table and depicted as "0%".
C) This table shall be as depicted in Exhibit A.
2) A pie-chart that graphically depicts the information in subsection (a)(1).
A) Any source of electricity in subsection (a)(1) that is not used shall not be depicted in the pie-chart.
B) Each segment in the pie-chart shall be depicted in the following colors: biomass power – light brown; coal-fired power – black; hydro power – blue; natural gas-fired power – grey; nuclear power – red; oil-fired power – dark brown; solar power – yellow; wind power – green; other resources – white; and unknown resources purchased from other companies – purple.
C) This pie-chart shall be as depicted in Exhibit B.
3) A table that depicts the amounts of carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides and sulfur dioxide emissions and high-level and low-level nuclear waste attributable to the aggregate known sources of electricity identified in subsection (a)(1).
A) The carbon dioxide emissions, nitrogen oxide emissions, and sulfur dioxide emissions shall be stated in pounds per 1,000 kilowatt-hours (lbs/1,000 kWh).
B) The high-level nuclear waste shall be stated in pounds of high-level nuclear waste per 1,000 kilowatt-hours (lbs/1,000 kWh).
C) The low-level nuclear waste shall be stated in cubic feet of low-level nuclear waste per 1,000 kilowatt-hours (ft3/1,000 kWh).
D) Any high-level nuclear waste that is less than "0.0001" shall be depicted as "<0.0001".
E) The table shall include a footnote to disclose the percentage of total electrical power supplied for which the utility or ARES does not know the amount of emissions in subsection (a)(3)(A) or nuclear waste in subsections (a)(3)(B) and (C).
F) A note shall be placed below the table and footnote and read as follows: "Additional information on companies selling electrical power in Illinois may be found at the Illinois Commerce Commission's World Wide Web site (www.icc.state.il.us)".
G) This table and footnote shall be as depicted in Exhibit C with the addition of the note in subsection (a)(3)(F).
b) Any other information the utility or ARES believes to be relevant to the information required may be provided in the inserts, but outside of the box surrounding the information required by subsection (a).
c) A utility or ARES that has received the permission of the Commission to use postcard billing as of January 1, 1998 may disclose the required information to customers on a postcard sent at the same time as a customer's bill so long as that utility or ARES continues to use postcard billing.
d) The information shall be provided in a separate billing insert and shall be displayed with the following notation: "The disclosure of this information is required under Section 16-127 of the Electric Service Customer Choice and Rate Relief Law of 1997 and the rules of the Illinois Commerce Commission, 83 Ill. Adm. Code 421."
e) A utility or ARES mailing a separate billing insert shall identify itself on the insert.
f) The separate billing inserts shall be clearly printed in a font no smaller than 12 point and shall be at least 6" x 9" in size.
g) Beginning January 1, 1999, the information in subsection (a) shall be provided with customer bill mailings beginning with the first billing cycle of April, July, October, and January.
1) Information for the 12 month period ending March 31 of each year shall be included in July bills issued that year; information for the 12 month period ending June 30 of each year shall be included in October bills issued that year; information for the 12 month period ending September 30 of each year shall be included in bills issued in January of the following year; and information for the 12 month period ending December 31 of each year shall be included in bills issued in April of the following year.
2) For disclosure during calendar year 1999, utilities and ARES shall provide information for the preceding 12 month period, to the extent such information is available. Utilities and ARES shall explicitly state the period on which the disclosure is based.