TITLE 83: PUBLIC UTILITIES
CHAPTER I: ILLINOIS COMMERCE COMMISSION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO MORE THAN ONE KIND OF UTILITY
PART 280 PROCEDURES FOR GAS, ELECTRIC, WATER AND SANITARY SEWER UTILITIES GOVERNING ELIGIBILITY FOR SERVICE, DEPOSITS, BILLING, PAYMENTS, REFUNDS AND DISCONNECTION OF SERVICE
SECTION 280.70 PREFERRED PAYMENT DATE
Section 280.70 Preferred Payment Date
a) Intent: An eligible residential customer who is billed monthly and who can demonstrate that his or her primary source of income is derived from a benefit that is received during the 10 day period after the customer's regular due date shall be entitled to a preferred payment date to enable the customer to submit timely payments.
b) Notification: When a customer pays late two times in a 12 month period, the utility shall notify the customer of the availability of a preferred payment date. The utility shall make a record on the customer's account of the notification, and notification shall be made by any of the following methods:
1) Message included in the customer's bill;
2) Separate written communication; or
3) Verbal communication.
c) Eligibility: Residential customers shall be eligible for a preferred payment date if they are included in any one of the following:
1) Customers receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Aid to the Aged, Blind and Disabled (AABD);
2) Customers receiving benefits from General Assistance or Supplemental Security Income;
3) Customers receiving income from Social Security benefits or Veterans benefits; or
4) Customers receiving unemployment compensation benefits.
d) Options: The utility shall inform an eligible customer of the following options from which the customer may choose:
1) Enter into a budget payment plan with a preferred payment date that is not more than 10 days after the customer's regular billing date and is agreed upon by the customer and the company; or
2) Establish a preferred payment date that shall not be more than 10 days after the customer's regular billing date.
e) Removal: If the customer fails to pay on or before the preferred payment date more than four times in a 12 month period, the utility may remove the customer's account from the preferred payment date and return the customer to the regular bill due date. After the removal of a customer, the utility shall not be obliged to offer the preferred payment date to that same customer for a period of 12 months.