TITLE 83: PUBLIC UTILITIES
CHAPTER I: ILLINOIS COMMERCE COMMISSION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO MORE THAN ONE KIND OF UTILITY
PART 280 PROCEDURES FOR GAS, ELECTRIC, WATER AND SANITARY SEWER UTILITIES GOVERNING ELIGIBILITY FOR SERVICE, DEPOSITS, PAYMENT PRACTICES AND DISCONTINUANCE OF SERVICE
SECTION 280.170 COMMISSION COMPLAINT PROCEDURES
Section 280.170 Commission Complaint Procedures
a) Before the Commission may allow the filing of a formal complaint by an applicant, customer, user or utility, an informal complaint shall be filed with the Commission's Consumer Assistance Section.
b) The informal complaint
1) should be in writing but may be initiated by telephone or in person at the offices of the Commission; and
2) shall provide the following information to the Commission:
A) the name, address and telephone number of the applicant, customer, or user,
B) the name of the utility involved,
C) the nature of the complaint in a clear and concise manner,
D) the specific relief requested.
c) Upon receipt of the informal complaint, the Consumer Assistance Section shall:
1) advise the party complained of that a complaint has been filed against it; the party complained of must in turn respond to the Consumer Assistance Section within fourteen days; and
2) review and investigate the complaint; and
3) advise the parties of the results of the investigation within a reasonable time not to exceed fourteen days following receipt of the response from the party complained of concerning the complaint.
d) If the Consumer Assistance Section is unable to resolve the complaint to the satisfaction of the parties or if the party complained of fails to respond to the Consumer Assistance Section within fourteen days, any party may file a formal complaint in accordance with the Commission's Rules of Practice. By agreement of the parties and the Consumer Assistance Section, these time limits may be extended.
e) Utility service shall not be discontinued for the reason which is the subject of the complaint during the pendency of any proceeding before the Commission pursuant to the provisions of this Section so long as the customer has complied with the provisions of Section 280.160.