TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER XV: DEPARTMENT OF PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
PART 3100 ILLINOIS CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT
SECTION 3100.420 PARTIAL FILLING OF PRESCRIPTIONS
Section 3100.420 Partial Filling of Prescriptions
a) The partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedules II, IV or V is permissible within 6 months after the date on which the prescription was issued provided that:
1) The total quantity dispensed in all partial fillings does not exceed the total quantity prescribed;
2) Each partial filling is recorded in the same manner as a refilling.
b) When Partial Filling is Permissible
1) Except as provided in subparagraph (b)(2), below, the partial filling of a prescription for a controlled substance listed in Schedule II is permissible, if the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity called for in a written or emergency oral prescription and he makes a notation of the quantity supplied on the face of the written prescription (or written record of the emergency oral prescription). The remaining portion of the prescription may be filled within 72 hours of the first partial filling; however, if the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled within the 72-hour period, the pharmacist shall so notify the prescribing individual practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription.
2) Prescriptions for Schedule II controlled substances written for patients in Long Term Care Facilities (LTCF) may be filled in partial quantities, to include individual dosage units. For each partial filling, the dispensing pharmacist shall record on the back of the prescription (or on another appropriate record, uniformly maintained, and readily retrievable) the date of the partial filling, quantity dispensed, remaining quantity authorized to be dispensed and the identification of the dispensing pharmacist. The total quantity of Schedule II controlled substances dispensed in all partial fillings must not exceed the total quantity prescribed. Schedule II prescriptions, for patients in a LTCF, shall be valid for a period not to exceed 60 days from the issue date unless sooner terminated by the discontinuance of medication.
3) Information pertaining to current Schedule II prescriptions for patients in a LTCF may be maintained in a computerized system if this system has the capability to permit:
A) Output (display or printout) of the original prescription number, date of issue, identification of patient, identification of LTCF, identification of medication authorized (to include dosage form, strength and quantity), listing of partial fillings that have been dispensed under each prescription and the information required in subparagraph (b)(2), above.
B) Immediate (real time) updating of the prescription record each time a partial filling of the prescription is conducted.
C) Retrieval of partially filled Schedule II prescription information is the same as required by Section 1306.22(b) (4) and (5) of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations for Schedule III and IV prescription refill information.
(Source: Amended at 5 Ill. Reg. 8693, effective August 12, 1981)