TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER r: WATER AND SEWAGE
PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE
SECTION 890.1150 WATER SERVICE PIPE INSTALLATION
Section 890.1150 Water Service Pipe Installation
a) Underground Water Service. Water service pipe shall be installed outside the foundation wall in accordance with either subsection (a)(1) or (2) and shall comply with both subsections (a)(3) and (4).
1) Water service and building drain or building sewer may be installed in separate trenches with a minimum of 10 feet horizontal separation. Material listed in Appendix A.Table A (Approved Materials for Building Sewer and Approved Materials for Water Service Pipe) shall be used, provided that the material is specific for this type of installation. (See Appendix I.Illustration E.)
2) The water service and the building drain or building sewer may be installed in the same trench provided that the water service is placed on a solid shelf a minimum of 18 inches above the building drain or building sewer. The building sewer shall be of material listed in Appendix A.Table A (Approved Building Drainage/Vent Pipe) for a building drain. (See Appendix I.Illustration F for the proper installation of water service, building drain and building sewer.)
3) The minimum depth for any water service pipe shall be at least 36 inches or the maximum frost penetration of the local area, whichever is of greater depth.
4) No water service pipe shall be installed or permitted outside of a building or in an exterior wall unless the pipe is protected from freezing, in accordance with Section 890.1210(a).
b) Potable Water Piping and Sanitary Sewer Crossing Installation Requirements
1) Potable water piping that passes above or below a sanitary sewer shall be installed with a minimum vertical separation of 18 inches for a distance of 10 feet on either side from the center of the sanitary sewer.
2) If potable water piping passes beneath a sanitary sewer or drain, the sanitary sewer or drain shall be constructed of materials as specified in Appendix A.Table A (Approved Building Drainage/Vent Pipe) for building drains and shall extend on each side of the crossing to a distance of at least 10 feet as measured at right angles to the water line. The potable water piping shall comply with Appendix A.Table A as specified for a water service pipe (Approved Materials for Water Service Pipe). (See Appendix I.Illustration G.)
3) When compliance with subsection (b)(1) or (2) is not possible, a pressure rated pipe, approved for building drain material listed in Appendix A.Table A, shall encase the water service pipe. The casing pipe shall be sealed with a casing seal and extend 10 feet on either side of the center of the sanitary sewer pipe. The sleeve or case shall be at least two times the size of the water service.
c) When compliance with subsection (a) or (b) is not possible, the Department shall be contacted for consideration of alternative methods.
d) Stop-and-Waste Valve. Combination stop-and-waste valves and cocks shall not be installed in an underground potable water pipe. Frost-free hydrants and fire hydrants shall not be considered stop-and-waste valves. (See Section 890.1140(e).)
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 9940, effective April 24, 2014)