TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER p: HAZARDOUS AND POISONOUS SUBSTANCE
PART 855 ASBESTOS ABATEMENT FOR PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS AND COMMERCIAL AND PUBLIC BUILDINGS IN ILLINOIS
SECTION 855.330 OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE
Section 855.330 Operations and Maintenance
a) The school board or building owner shall designate a person who shall be responsible for the implementation of an operations and maintenance plan. The plan shall be instituted in every school identified or assumed as having ACBM and shall be enforced at all times. The plan shall be in writing and shall meet the requirements of USEPA (40 CFR 763) and OSHA Regulations (29 CFR 1926.1101).
b) Repair Procedures. Department-licensed asbestos workers shall be utilized when ACBM must be drilled, sanded, cut, or repaired, or friable ACBM must be cleaned and the following procedures shall be followed:
1) Heating, cooling, or ventilating air systems shall be shut down to prevent fiber dispersal to other areas of the building.
2) Openings in the work area, including windows, doorways, vents, and any other openings, shall be sealed off with six mil polyethylene or equivalent sheeting and duct tape.
3) All persons shall wear respirators equipped with high efficiency HEPA filters and approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
4) All persons shall wear disposable full body coveralls and head gear.
5) ACBM shall be wet down with amended water before repairing or disturbing the material to reduce airborne fiber release.
6) Work area shall be cleaned up using wet rags, mops or sponges, leaving no visible residue.
7) Asbestos-contaminated waste shall be sealed in six mil labeled plastic bags and disposed of at an approved disposal site.
8) Maintenance or repair which results in the disturbance of ACBM shall be conducted in accordance with OSHA Regulations 29 CFR 2926.1101(e) and (g).
c) The Floor Tile Project Notice form provided by the Department must be submitted at least 10 working days prior to the beginning of an asbestos resilient floor covering material project in a school building.