TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER n: RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
PART 820 SWIMMING FACILITY CODE
SECTION 820.250 SLIDES
Section 820.250 Slides
a) General Requirements
1) Structure. All slides shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions to carry the anticipated load. Plans for water slides shall be signed and sealed by a structural engineer licensed to practice in Illinois.
2) Steps. Slide steps shall be slip-resistant and have a minimum tread of 2 inches and a minimum length of 12 inches. The riser height of the steps shall not exceed 12 inches. Specific requirements that apply to water slides are included in subsection (b)(1) of this Section.
3) Plunge Pools. Plunge pools shall comply with Sections 820.200 and 820.210 except that, for a plunge pool for a water slide, a deck is not required where the slide exits into the pool.
b) Water Slides
1) Design and Construction. All curves, turns, and tunnels on the path of a flume shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
2) Walkways. Walkways or stairs leading to the top of water slides shall be slip-resistant, rigid, and have a 4 feet minimum clear width.
3) Slide Position.
A) A flume shall be perpendicular to the pool wall for a distance of at least 10 feet from the exit end of the slide. The last 10 feet of the flume shall have a slope that is not steeper than one foot in 10.
B) A flume shall terminate between a depth of 6 inches below to 2 inches above the pool water surface level.
C) The plunge area water depth shall be between 2½ and 4 feet at the end of the flume and for at least 10 feet beyond. The pool floor slope in the plunge area shall not exceed one foot vertical in 12 feet horizontal.
4) Surge Reservoir. A surge storage reservoir shall be provided except where the pool water elevation will not be lowered more than one inch when the water slide pumps are in operation. The surge reservoir shall not be accessible to the public.
5) Plunge Area. There shall be a slide plunge area extending at least 5 feet on either side of the centerline of the slide terminus and 25 feet in front of the slide. This area shall not infringe on the plunge area for any other slides or diving equipment. Steps shall not infringe on this area. A water slide plunge area in a swimming pool shall be roped off from the rest of the pool when the slide is in operation. A means of egress shall be provided near the side of the plunge area opposite the flume terminus.
6) Grates. The intake openings for water pumped from a beach must be covered by grating that cannot be removed without the use of tools. The grate openings shall be at least four times the area of the intake pipe or have an open area so that the maximum velocity of the water passing through the grate does not exceed 1½ feet per second. The maximum width of the grate openings shall be ½ inch. Pump suction intakes at a beach shall be located or protected so as to be inaccessible to bathers.
c) Drop Slides
1) Slide Position. A slide landing area shall extend at least 5 feet on either side of the centerline of the slide terminus and 20 feet in front of the slide. This area shall not infringe on the landing area for any other slides or diving equipment. Steps shall not infringe on this area.
2) Water Depth. The water depth directly below the slide discharge point and for a distance of 12 feet beyond shall comply with the following requirements:
3) Platform Height. The drop slide platform shall not exceed 12 feet in height, measured above the water level in the plunge area.
d) Other Slides
1) A slide plunge area shall extend at least 3½ feet on either side of the centerline of the slide terminus and 20 feet in front of the slide. This area shall not infringe on the landing area for any other slides, water slides, drop slides, or diving equipment.
2) Unless the slide is designed by the manufacturer for safe exits at lesser water depths, the water depth and slide exit height above the water shall be in accordance with the following table. The exit height shall not exceed 48 inches above the water surface.
3) Slides shall be positioned so that any water flowing off the end of the slide terminus drops into the pool.
4) Handrails. Slides shall be equipped with handrails to aid the slider in safely making the transition from the ladder to the runway. Handrails shall begin at a point no more than 4 feet above the pool deck.
(Source: Amended at 34 Ill. Reg. 2698, effective February 3, 2010)