TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER m: FOOD, DRUGS AND COSMETICS
PART 785 MANUFACTURED DAIRY PRODUCTS
SECTION 785.587 REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTANT NONFAT DRY MILK
Section 785.587 Requirements for Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
a) Sampling and Testing: All instant nonfat dry milk offered for sale shall be sampled and tested by the Department monthly for the purpose of assuring that the product meets the requirements of Section 785.587(b) in accordance with Standard Methods. In addition the dry milk plant shall have each sublot of approximately 4,000 pounds tested and analyzed prior to being packaged or offered for sale. Product not meeting the requirements of Section 785.587(b) shall not be offered as Extra Grade.
b) Requirements for Extra Grade Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
1) Flavor and Odor: The flavor and odor shall be sweet, pleasing and desirable but may possess the following flavors to a slight degree: Chalky, cooked, feed, flat.
2) Physical Appearance: The physical appearance shall possess a uniform white to light cream natural color; shall be free-flowing and free from lumps except those that readily break up with very slight pressure.
3) Bacterial Estimate: The standard plate count shall not be more than 30,000 per gram.
4) Coliform Count: The coliform count shall not be more than 10 per gram.
5) Milkfat Content: The milkfat shall not be more than 1.25 percent.
6) Moisture Count: The moisture shall not be more than 4.5 percent.
7) Scorched Particle Content: Scorched particles shall not be more than 15 mg.
8) Solubility Index: The solubility index shall not be more than 1 ml.
9) Titratable Acidity: The titratable acidity shall not be more than 0.15 percent.
10) Dispersibility: The dispersibility shall not be less than 85 percent.
11) Direct Microscopic Clump Count: The direct microscopic clump count shall not be more than 75 million per gram.