TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER m: FOOD, DRUGS AND COSMETICS
PART 750 FOOD SERVICE SANITATION CODE
SECTION 750.510 GENERAL - PERSONAL CLEANLINESS
Section 750.510 General − Personal Cleanliness
a) Food employees shall keep their hands and the exposed portions of their arms clean. Employees shall keep their fingernails clean and trimmed, filed, and maintained so that the edges and surfaces are cleanable and not rough. Unless wearing intact gloves in good repair, a food employee may not wear fingernail polish or artificial fingernails when working with exposed food.
b) Food employees shall clean their hands and exposed portions of their arms for at least 20 seconds, using a cleaning compound.
c) Food employees shall use the following cleaning procedure in the order stated to clean their hands and exposed portions of their arms:
1) Rinse under clean running warm water;
2) Apply an amount of cleaning compound recommended by the cleaning compound manufacturer;
3) Rub together vigorously for at least 20 seconds while:
A) Paying particular attention to removing soil from underneath the fingernails during the cleaning procedure; and
B) Creating friction on the surfaces of the hands and arms, fingertips, and areas between the fingers;
4) Thoroughly rinse under clean running warm water; and
5) Immediately follow the cleaning procedure with thorough drying, using a method specified under Section 750.1120(e).
d) To avoid re-contaminating their hands, food employees shall use disposable paper towels or similar clean barriers when touching surfaces such as manually operated faucet handles on a hand-washing sink or the handle of a restroom door.
(Source: Amended at 32 Ill. Reg. 11980, effective July 10, 2008)